No announcement yet.

Aging parents and guns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As for driving my dad refused to quit even though he was legally blind. I talked to local PD and they did not do anything so I pulled the ECU from both vehicles.

Comment

When I get to the point I cant have firearms, someone please just kill me.

Comment

Never had to deal with the gun issue, but did have a similar issue with m-i-l and her car. Her dementia had gotten so bad the car stayed "in the shop".

I would remove the guns right now--

Comment

I locked all my FIL's guns in his safe and changed the combination.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
            Same here - as my dad’s dementia progressed we got worried so I went over when he wasn’t there and loaded up his guns. He asked where they were a couple times but eventually forgot about it
            This and just say their at the gunsmith being cleaned up. You can kick the can a few times then they’ll be forgotten (unfortunately).

Comment

Lots of good advise here. Now you need to go see your father's doctor and also get ahold of the alsheimers assn and get a handle on what's to come. Your going to have to prepare yourself for some much more difficult decision in your father's future. My mother had it and is the most devastating disease you can imagine. Try to prepare yourself and your family.

Comment

Guns and dementia are a bad match.

Comment

My dad has dementia that is getting worse daily! I have his guns in my safe that he doesn't even remember owning at this point. He still has a car but we don't let him drive. Somebody mentioned a kill switch and I think that may be my next step. Such a sad disease I wouldn't wish on anyone!

OP I understand the dignity issue but the safety issue is much more important.

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
                    Guns and dementia are a bad match.
                    Yep , I was confronted by a guy with dementia and a pistol while showing a ranch to clients, seems that he forgot his kids were selling it , and he flipped out when i told him why we where there!
                    Old POed dude with a pistol and dementia = a tragic ending

Comment

I need to remember all these tricks when they start trying to ground me.
                      Seriously, in recent years I have started using foul language more and more. In most cases it is the most correct way to describe something...or someone.
                      I'm into new definitions too. Nowadays, "getting lucky" means that I remembered what I went in the kitchen for, and a "nooner" is a bowl of soup and a 2 hour nap.

Comment

Originally posted by tx_basser View Post
                        Had same problem with my father a few years back. Asked him to turn them over so my brother, I, and son could use them and enjoy them. He refused so I put trigger locks on them and hid the keys. He got mad and went next door to neighbor to grind them off. I said screw it and said, I'm taking them get made if you want to. End of Story.
                        IK I am an unknown around here, but you need to look at the above

my mom never had guns, but she is going through this now (dementia and sundowners) and because she still thinks I am 9yo she does not have to listen to a thing i say

long story short after going to the neighbors across the street and telling them one morning she could not revive my father (that had been dead and cremated and put away 4 years prior)....and other incidents that "were just one time" I came into town and told her that her not safe for an 81yo woman house was being sold and 2 days later when she got home from church and getting KFC and was "dizzy" the car went to Carvana less than 3 weeks later

it was done no more discussions and no more asking nicely like I had for the last 4 years

she gets mad at times and argues and we both argue (it sucks), but it is better than her laying in a ditch somewhere (like the neighbors that she went to had happen to her mom) or walking off in the woods near her home or the MAJOR river near her home

you just have to do it anger and resentment from them or not.....sadly they will forget sooner than later and if they are the arguing type well it will be (sadly) on to something else

Comment

Originally posted by Smeone View Post
                          IK I am an unknown around here, but you need to look at the above

my mom never had guns, but she is going through this now (dementia and sundowners) and because she still thinks I am 9yo she does not have to listen to a thing i say

long story short after going to the neighbors across the street and telling them one morning she could not revive my father (that had been dead and cremated and put away 4 years prior)....and other incidents that "were just one time" I came into town and told her that her not safe for an 81yo woman house was being sold and 2 days later when she got home from church and getting KFC and was "dizzy" the car went to Carvana less than 3 weeks later

it was done no more discussions and no more asking nicely like I had for the last 4 years

she gets mad at times and argues and we both argue (it sucks), but it is better than her laying in a ditch somewhere (like the neighbors that she went to had happen to her mom) or walking off in the woods near her home or the MAJOR river near her home

you just have to do it anger and resentment from them or not.....sadly they will forget sooner than later and if they are the arguing type well it will be (sadly) on to something else
                          My dad gave up truck keys willingly. I had to take his shotgun ammo to keep him shooting the mistletoe out of his trees. He lived in a neighborhood in the county. He just couldn’t see the problem with shooting so close to neighbors. He was most upset w/ me. Sometimes you just gotta handle up…

Comment

Goin thu hell with wife,Started about 2y ago...went to many doc /nero etc .Diagnosed about Year ago with ALZ...Still knows people..and makes a little conversation..and has 2 to 4h a day not making any sense...wont listen and Argue and cus like sailor ...Pretty well wheelchalr bound .Can walk a little hunkered over bad balance...and falls 3 or 4 time a month..She always been a gun person ,but they seldome come up and I got them locked in safe and changed numbers...Its a terrible thing...to deal with. My heart goes out to all caretakers and LOVED Patients

Comment

My dad has it too, we all hurt for you on this. What my dad remembers about the guns is we told him that “ he gave them to the grandsons as present s”. So we made it a passing down the family heirlooms type of thing.

He was happy with that.

Also gps his phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SJP51 View Post
                                When I get to the point I cant have firearms, someone please just kill me.

You won't even realize it when it happens.....

Comment

Working...
                                X