2021-2022 Duck Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dbpredator View Post
    For the public land hunters, what do yall look for when scouting or looking for a spot to hunt? We've never been able to really find any ducks (except a few wood ducks or after the big freeze) on big water.

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

dp, what kind of public you hunting? Don't have to give location. Big water lakes? WMA? Rivers? Coastal? Ect.

I try to watch for birds starting 3 weeks in advance. Keep up with local activity. And watch the weather for fronts from the north. Big fronts will push the birds down starting a day or so in advance. After you get to know a body of water pretty good, you'll know what you can do even when someone else sets up on a spot you were going to be on. As mentioned, knowing the flight paths makes a huge difference. Sometimes the paths can change slightly through the season. So take note of what you see while out during the season. And take note of the wind direction and speed for that day. Pressure in one spot can wear it out too. Plus, if others see you shooting a lot at one spot, it might get hard to get it at a future date. I've got some spots that are somewhat wind sheltered, pending wind speed. If the wind is high enough, the birds head there (coves, creeks, slews). If the wind is light, I'm out in a more open areas like beeches and points where the birds can see my spreads from greater distances.
    Last edited by Texas Grown; 08-10-2021, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dbpredator View Post
      For the public land hunters, what do yall look for when scouting or looking for a spot to hunt? We've never been able to really find any ducks (except a few wood ducks or after the big freeze) on big water.

Food water and a good hide. Just dont be that guy that calls scouting running around blowing every bird off the feed.can get a lot done with binos and watching flight patterns

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
        dp, what kind of public you hunting? Don't have to give location. Big water lakes? WMA? Rivers? Coastal? Ect.

I try to watch for birds starting 3 weeks in advance. Keep up with local activity. And watch the weather for fronts from the north. Big fronts will push the birds down starting a day or so in advance. After you get to know a body of water pretty good, you'll know what you can do even when someone else sets up on a spot you were going to be on. As mentioned, knowing the flight paths makes a huge difference. Sometimes the paths can change slightly through the season. So take note of what you see while out during the season. And take note of the wind direction and speed for that day. Pressure in one spot can wear it out too. Plus, if others see you shooting a lot at one spot, it might get hard to get it at a future date. I've got some spots that are somewhat wind sheltered, pending wind speed. If the wind is high enough, the birds head there (coves, creeks, slews). If the wind is light, I'm out in a more open areas like beeches and points where the birds can see my spreads from greater distances.
        We hunt a WMA but I'd like to get into big water lakes more as well.

Thanks for the tips everyone! I'm excited to try to get on some ducks this season!

Comment

Comment

Been driving up and down the coast and up into Oklahoma. I haven't seen the amount of birds I usually do at this time. Hopefully they'll start moving in soon

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Seen reports of a few teal showing up, should have alot more after this months full moon.

Comment

2021-2022 Duck Hunting Thread

The fall flight forecast released by Delta Waterfowl is concerning. Very little duck production occurred this summer due to extreme drought in the Dakotas and Canada. Many birds never even attempted to nest. If you all have been following this story since April, the pond count in the prairie pothole region alone was down 82% year over year. The lack of young birds this year will require our best effort as guides/hunters. If this drought persists into next spring/summer we will likely see a 3 bird limit in 2022/2023.

Some positive news is around blue wing and green wing production. They are the earliest nesters and they appear to have utilized what little water was available in the late spring. Not a great hatch by any stretch but respectable. Mallards and pintails appear to not had any success. Redheads recruitment was poor as well. Gadwall counts remain really strong although nesting success was not fully understood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Pin Oak DXT View Post
                  The fall flight forecast released by Delta Waterfowl is concerning. Very little duck production occurred this summer due to extreme drought in the Dakotas and Canada. Many birds never even attempted to nest. If you all have been following this story since April, the pond count in the prairie pothole region alone was down 82% year over year. The lack of young birds this year will require our best effort as guides/hunters. If this drought persists into next spring/summer we will likely see a 3 bird limit in 2022/2023.

Some positive news is around blue wing and green wing production. They are the earliest nesters and they appear to have utilized what little water was available in the late spring. Not a great hatch by any stretch but respectable. Mallards and pintails appear to not had any success. Redheads recruitment was poor as well. Gadwall counts remain really strong although nesting success was not fully understood.

Disappointing but part of it! I wish they could drop the limits for this season.

I wonder how it impacted goose reproduction? Wish it would hurt the snows somehow but they’re much further north.

Comment

Originally posted by Razrbk89 View Post
                    Disappointing but part of it! I wish they could drop the limits for this season.

I wonder how it impacted goose reproduction? Wish it would hurt the snows somehow but they’re much further north.

Not sure about geese but they typically nest much further north, like Alaska and the Arctic circle (especially snows and specks). I think habitat was normal in that area so probably a good hatch.

Comment

Anyone finding steel shot anywhere?
                      I have enough to get me going, but haven't seen much, just mainly 3-1/2", guessing it's left overs from last year.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm thinking of using my 20 for teal. Running low on 12g

Comment

Lots of 3.5" steel out there and alittle bit of 3"steel.

But if your like me and like a particular brand and shot size bc that is what you have patterned through your gun good luck finding it. Not alot of options availinle right now. I hope it gets better in the next month or so.

Comment

Gonna be a banger teal season teal already showing up and lots of food around

Comment

If anyone would like to take along this year lmk

Comment

We should be set up with lodging already. What are y'all's plans?

Comment

Working...
                                X