Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

20-21 Amistad

Who’s ready?

I'm ready, we never made it out there last year.

Comment

Me too, I had some luck last year on whitetail and one good mouflon. I’m just hoping the camp grounds and everything is open come October

Comment

So far it’s been shut down on weekends and open during the week... hopefully some common sense enlightens who ever makes the decisions over there

Comment

I dang sure hope so. I’m ready to head out in September and chase elk then come back and see that Amistad has to offer that is if they allow us to use our public land.

Comment

I'm in, probably won't go down til December though. We have a lot going on this year between Wyoming and Colorado but I'm not missing my Amistad hunts and hoping to keep my streak alive of killing at least 1 critter there, been 7-8 years in a row now I'd have to count but need to keep it rolling.

Comment

I am ready. Gonna spend a week there. I was wanting to go chase elk in Colorado but budget restrictions kept me from going up that way. Amistad will do.

Comment

I'm ready. Amistad has really become one of my favorite places the last two seasons.

Comment

I’m thinking of trying my hand at Amistad - for those of you that go regularly - is it crowded (hunters and/or non hunters)? How’s the situation with border control?

Comment

Yes it's crowded with hunters no doubt. I've never seen a non-hunter out there though I've seen hunters that don't act like hunters. Lol... of course sometimes guys scouting or whatever. Border Patrol has a pretty good presence but they're usually not running around in the hunt areas unless there's a chase that leads in there I'd imagine, never seen them in there.

Comment

Anyone ever dove hunt Amistad?

Comment

Originally posted by Gringolevi View Post

I have , not to much luck got a couple birds but definitely wouldn’t plan on getting a limit .!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Appreciate it,

Comment

Originally posted by Romulan View Post
                            I’m thinking of trying my hand at Amistad - for those of you that go regularly - is it crowded (hunters and/or non hunters)? How’s the situation with border control?
                            It can be pretty crowded, when the mouflon are on one of the hunt areas, or if someone sees a big buck and tells someone else. That hunt area will be very crowded.

I have been out there and had guys on mountain bikes, riding all over the place. You never know what you are going to run into out there. I found a couple digging up Spanish Daggers one year. Did not think anything of it, till a park ranger asked if I had seen anyone digging up plants. Turns out that is a big no no.

As of the last time I was out there crossbows were not legal. But I found two guys across the road from a hunt area, in a area that is not open to hunting but part of Amistad. I think it's a rest area or for picnics. But there were two guys over there with a cross bow chasing and shooting at something down the side of the hill. I did not go across the road to ask what they were doing. I was hoping they were shooting goats. During that time, some local turned about 70 goats loose out there to le them graze. Multiple of us, kept talking about shooting goats. I think the park rangers were looking for the guy who turned them loose out there also.

As for people coming across the border, into a hunt area, it's not common, they don't cross much in that area. I know when I used to camp in the camp grounds out there. There was almost always a Border Patrol agent, that would go and hide back down one of the roads and watch the camp grounds. So I did not worry, that and I had my 10 mm. I got pretty dang cold in those camp grounds a few nights. It was just me the jack rabbits, deer and the border patrol agent, the border patrol agent was the only one warm, he stayed in his car with the engine running.

Comment

Originally posted by Gringolevi View Post
                              You would be in the unpopular club, if you did so.

Comment

Working...
                              X