Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bathroom remodel advice please

Howdy Braintrust,

TBH is probably the best place in the world for crowd sourcing when it comes to questions like this.

So the missus wants to replace our tub with a walk in shower. I'm a pretty handy feller, and hope to do most of the work myself. A few questions...

1. The new shower drain location will be about 24-28 inches from where the original tub drain was. So, with this in mind, I am thinking I will need to add a p-trap below the new shower drain location. Would this be correct? We are on a pier and beam foundation so pretty easy access. I am guessing we have 2 inch cast iron drain pipe as our house was built in the late '50's.

2. We have seen these new fancy shower heads that come straight from the ceiling over head. Are they really all that great? Or should we stick with the one that comes out of the wall? Any you guys have experience with those overhead shower heads that you no longer like or care for and if so why? I ain't never stayed in a fancy dancy hotel that has them.

I'll probably have a few more questions when I start the tear out. But if you guys have any other suggestions, I'd appreciate if you could share them

thanks in advance,

P

Gimmick. I do not like the rainforest shower head, or whatever they are called. There are times when one likes to soap up and then rinse off. You cannot do that when the water is constantly washing off the soap/shampoo.

Comment

Go with a good wall shower head. The overhead ones sound great but aren’t.

Comment

Why not both? You could put both in and have separate controls for them.

Comment

If your gona stay with about same width as original tub ,there are shower Pan available that allow you to hook to original tub drain at end..so you dont have move to drain pipe. It sounds like moving your drain will be easy ,mine was in slab.....I got a Kohler at Lowes..I went with cast Iron..HEAVY..But turned out nice...
          Put some thought into making it Handicap usable..and add support in walls for hand holds or hand rails for install now or later in life...Kinda plan now for later it don't cost much more and if and when time comes you will thank me...
          Put some thought and shop Shower Doors ,in our case it was tuff finding what we wanted and what would work..

Comment

We went with one that comes out of the wall but set it a foot higher than normal and made it a large shower head. So if desired it can be set almost like the one that comes out of the ceiling.

Comment

following...we are about to start on our as well

Comment

If you’re gonna be doing the work on the shower install yourself check out a guy on YouTube called Starr Tile. I found him when I was researching my own shower remodel. The guy is a wealth of knowledge and is sort of known in his area for being the guy to call in to fix other tile installer’s mistakes, so he has a lot of videos showing you what NOT to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                  Gimmick. I do not like the rainforest shower head, or whatever they are called. There are times when one likes to soap up and then rinse off. You cannot do that when the water is constantly washing off the soap/shampoo.
                  Well... Us young folk like the rain shower heads. Nothing like standing there after a long day of protesting Trump. It also helps distribute the lovely smell from the lavender bath beads.

Dont listen to this old fart... He is probably still lathering up with lye soap!

Hey there Randy!!

Comment

Yes on p trap

Person preference on shower head. I personally don’t like ceiling mounted. I mount mine wall and higher than standard.

Comment

You dont need to add a P trap, as there is already one in the slab.

Comment

Thanks for the info fellas, I'll take some pics as I go along.

Comment

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbvzTiGMgRA"]Demolition Man - Moving tub drain for new whirlpool tub. - YouTube[/ame]

I moved the drain on my tub, and where you see that pipe stubbed up there was a p-trap under it.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                            Isn't this what all shower heads do?

I personally went with both as well. Its actually super easy and really doesn't add much as far as cost or difficulty. You can select just the wall, just the ceiling or both. The higher pressure at the wall head feels nice at times, then the rain head is also nice at times.

Also, some would say its a bonus, others would say not but with two available heads in the shower the Mrs. can get in with you and not complain about being "cold" one head for each of you@! LOL

Comment

We did a ceiling mounted rain head, which we really like.

However, in addition, we also have a hand held shower mounted on a slide bar. We had the slide bar installed a bit higher which allows for the hand held to be used like a regular wall mounted shower head if you want.

Although we really like the ceiling mounted rain head, I'd agree that I wouldn't have that as the only option. Have a hand held or another wall mount installed in addition with a diverter.

Comment

Working...
                              X