No announcement yet.

2022 Gardening Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since i lost all my squash, to vine borers what can i plant now ? I thought about more squash but i didn't know if it's to late in the year.

Comment

Originally posted by huntandfishguy6 View Post
      Since i lost all my squash, to vine borers what can i plant now ? I thought about more squash but i didn't know if it's to late in the year.

I plant okra as I pull plants out.

Comment

My cucumber plants are churning them out, green beans have done ok, and it won't be long before I can start picking okra, tomatoes, and corn. Peppers are looking strong but they have a ways to go since I started them late.

Had a big food processing weekend. Dad killed a big axis doe a couple months ago and we made sausage out of her.

Spent some time canning this weekend too. Did back beans, pintos, yellow and white potatoes, made 4 pints of pickles, 3 of pickled green beans, 2 of regular green beans, made a garlic/honey ferment and a jar of homemade almond milk.
        Attached Files

Comment

Dang Moose, those jars look really nice!! We've done pickles, pickled jalapenos (sliced with carrots n onions and whole), Pickled banana peppers (sweet)... Put up about 30 quarts of blackberries so far, and they're just now starting to get going... Wife is getting about 2-4 quarts a day now...

Corn is way behind... still doin' battle with the dang crows! Purple hull peas are behind but looking real good... Cherry maters have given us a few ripe ones, but others are still WAY green, but looking good... Trying to wait until next week to "dig" taters", only planted reds this year... Had a couple messes of "new potatoes" and they were on the small side, but DANG, they were good!!

Comment

Originally posted by huntandfishguy6 View Post
            okra

Comment

Another vine borer went down yesterday I've scraped dozens of eggs off of the plants/stems. Spraying weekly with BT, so far no damage(knock on wood). Pulling a ton of zuchini. Can't keep up, may be time for a batch of squash reli*****omatoes are cranking. We did our first batch of salsa yesterday. Cukes are steady but not enough to make pickles yet. I think last year I did about 4 flats of pickles, hope they come on here shortly. All of the peppers have been steady but really starting to get going now that the heat is setting in. All of the onions and garlic have been pulled and currently drying

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                Another vine borer went down yesterday I've scraped dozens of eggs off of the plants/stems. Spraying weekly with BT, so far no damage(knock on wood). Pulling a ton of zuchini. Can't keep up, may be time for a batch of squash reli*****omatoes are cranking. We did our first batch of salsa yesterday. Cukes are steady but not enough to make pickles yet. I think last year I did about 4 flats of pickles, hope they come on here shortly. All of the peppers have been steady but really starting to get going now that the heat is setting in. All of the onions and garlic have been pulled and currently drying

If you haven't already, you might want to check into using spinosad instead (or in addition to) BT... They both kill caterpillars, but the caterpillars must eat the BT for it to get 'em... The spinosad kills by contact so they don't actually have to eat on your plant for it to kill 'em and both last about the same amount of time...

Oh and I am also now a Great White Hunter of all garden bugs with the But-a-salt gun!! Got in trouble last week tho... Got sidetracked and left it lying between 2 rows of bags overnight... wife found it...covered in dew... hope it dries out OK...

Comment

Anyone know what kind of pepper this is? Bought it when it was a little bud at the local Hong Kong market for $.50 but it didn't have a name listed. Well fast forward 2 months its in full bloom. Its not a tabasco like we thought. And they are butt burners for sure.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Wow, y’all are doing great.
                    I picked a few green beans and harvested some lettuce leaves but that’s really all that’s done well.
                    My peppers are still puny but my tomatoes are what’s really confusing. They are about two feet tall and putting out flowers but still no sign of any fruit. I just don’t understand what’s going on with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
                      I picked a few green beans and harvested some lettuce leaves but that’s really all that’s done well.
                      My peppers are still puny but my tomatoes are what’s really confusing. They are about two feet tall and putting out flowers but still no sign of any fruit. I just don’t understand what’s going on with them.
                      When did you plant your tomatoes? They don't set fruit well once it gets to be 94-95 degrees consistently.....Most of mine are 5-6ft tall at this point. I do plant in march though.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                        Anyone know what kind of pepper this is? Bought it when it was a little bud at the local Hong Kong market for $.50 but it didn't have a name listed. Well fast forward 2 months its in full bloom. Its not a tabasco like we thought. And they are butt burners for sure.
                        maybe a chilly chili pepper?

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
                          Take the main trunk of your tomato plants and shake them when the blooms pop open preferably in the morning an hour or so after the sun is up... You can also buzz them with an electric toothbrush... The blooms need to be shook so that the pollen dislodges from the male stem and goes into contact with the female receptors... Can also shoot 'em with a liquid/or water soluble phosphorus fertilizer... I use that seabird guano when they first start to set blooms...

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                            I’m not sure what type but holy cow it is loaded with peppers. Time to pick some.

Comment

Got a squash plant question. Why is my plants full of blooms but not squash ? Have zucchini right beside them doing alright .

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                                If you haven't already, you might want to check into using spinosad instead (or in addition to) BT... They both kill caterpillars, but the caterpillars must eat the BT for it to get 'em... The spinosad kills by contact so they don't actually have to eat on your plant for it to kill 'em and both last about the same amount of time...

Oh and I am also now a Great White Hunter of all garden bugs with the But-a-salt gun!! Got in trouble last week tho... Got sidetracked and left it lying between 2 rows of bags overnight... wife found it...covered in dew... hope it dries out OK...
                                Dang, missed this earlier. Thanks for the tip. I will look into this. Do you have any specific products that you have used? I've had time up until this point to do daily diligence but my time is about to get limited starting TODAY! The 'kill on contact' would be a bonus with my upcoming schedule. Bug A Salt is big fun I ran the smoker all day Saturday so naturally the flies were out. We got our limit

Comment

Working...
                                X