• Show
Clear All

James Arness
    Ken Curtis
    Amanda Blake
    Rory Calhoun
    Tex Ritter

Comment

I love Lonesome Dove and some of the modern westerns, but to put Robert Duval and Tommy Lee Jones in the category of a Western Actor is like saying The Ballad of Buster Scruggs was a good western. One or two good westerns after the 1970's doesn't count to me. Good actors, just not western actors in my book.

Comment

Jack Elam
        Chuck Conners

Comment

Glenn ford hasn’t made the list yet

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
            I love Lonesome Dove and some of the modern westerns, but to put Robert Duval and Tommy Lee Jones in the category of a Western Actor is like saying The Ballad of Buster Scruggs was a good western. One or two good westerns after the 1970's doesn't count to me. Good actors, just not western actors in my book.
            I can somewhat agree with you on Tommy Lee Jones but not Robert Duvall. Duvall is one of the greatest western actors of all time. From ''Lucky Ned Pepper" to "Boss Spearman" he has played everyone of them great.

Comment

Audie Murphy

Comment

Duncan Renaldo
                Frank McGrath

Comment

Bob Steele oldie but goodir

Comment

Warren Oates perfected the portrayal of trashy characters. See The Wild Bunch, and his numerous guest appearances on TV westerns.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post

I listed Jones because of Lonesome Dove. That was reason enough. Comparing Robert Duval to Buster Scruggs is just ridiculous.

Comment

This thread went from favorite cowboy actors to pretty much anyone that wore a cowboy hat.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                          This thread went from favorite cowboy actors to pretty much anyone that wore a cowboy hat.
                          That was kind of my point. What Cowboy Actor means to me is, a career of mostly cowboy roles. Dean Martin played a few good Cowboy roles. Heck, Sammy Davis Jr. Played in a few westerns, and he could handle a gun better than most of all of them, but he wasn't a cowboy actor.

Comment

Robert Ryan
                            Warren oats
                            Ben Johnson
                            Gregory peck
                            Hank worden
                            John Wain
                            Harry carrie sr & Jr
                            Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 05-24-2022, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Dana Andrews (my grandfather's cousin)

can't forget Cleavon Little!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                                Same here, and I’d probably add Clint Eastwood to this list.

Best all-around cowboy villain? Bruce Dern, hands down.
                                Absolutely. Watching Rawhide in the mornings while I drink my coffee is mandatory and I haven’t been able to look at Dern without scorn since he killed Wil Anderson.

Comment

Working...
                                X