2022 Gardening Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
    Richard, one of the drawbacks to planting only a few cuke plants in a raised bed or bag, etc. is that many of the varieties of cukes today are Gynoecious plants. That means they only produce female flowers. In order to germinate, the seed suppliers will put a few seeds in the packet that are of a similar variety (pickling, slicing, burpless, etc.) that are not Gynoecious to make sure there are male blossoms available. If you plant 3 or 4 plants/seeds and don't happen to get one of the male producing plants, you'll have a bunch of tiny cukes and no germination... This happened to us this year! The only thing that saved us is my wife planted several plants in a bag that she always has grown in the past and they are not of the Gynoecious variety, so now that the plants are all growing wildly, we are about to have more cukes than we will know what to do with!! Those pickling cukes have hundreds of tiny little female cuke flowers... I just need more bees!!

Comment

2022 Gardening Thread

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
      You made a typo, right? I fix'd it fer ya...

[emoji2357] Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Went out the other evening with the bug asalt gun. It no worky. I’m guessing the nephews were the cause [emoji23]. I bought another one online immediately and it came in today. I’ve been wearing those nasty bugs out today. Pretty sure I won’t need to add salt to any of the cukes I pick at this point forward. [emoji3]

Comment

Plenty of maters coming off the plants. Ramped up this week

Comment

Originally posted by TexanDuke View Post

Look great. What variety?

Comment

2022 Gardening Thread

Originally posted by rtp View Post
              Look great. What variety?

These are called “patio” short stout plants with TONS of fruit. They’re similar in size to a Roma and sweeter

Comment

PSA for anyone still looking for plants. I was milling around the HEB garden center earlier and came across a cart full of clearance plants. Snagged a 6 pack of habanero plants for $1.49 and a scorpion pepper plant for $.75. I’ve tried planting my habanero seeds 3 times this year and can’t get any to germinate for some reason. Best $1.49 I’ve spent this year [emoji2]

Comment

Originally posted by TexanDuke View Post

Very nice! I was curious how patios did. Are those grown in a container or in ground ?

Comment

Originally posted by basschump View Post
                    Very nice! I was curious how patios did. Are those grown in a container or in ground ?

I have them in the ground. I didn’t want to have to get a ladder to pick 8 ft tall celebrity tomatoes in my 2 ft raised beds lol

Comment

2022 Gardening Thread

First harvest. It’s not much but it’s a start.

Question, if the tops of some of my onions have folded over, should I go ahead and pull them now or wait until the tops start turning brown?

The winds up here in north texas have been relentless and hard on my plants. I’m wondering if the winds could be affecting the pollinators. Been seeing plenty of blossoms but no activity.

Comment

We've been getting a little each day out of our bag garden and our berry patch... Earlier this week, we had 5 different varieties of fried squash and MAN were they good!! We had Que-ball, 1 ball, 8-ball, grenade and golden sweet straight-necks... Never grew the round varieties before, but they are prolific producers and delicious! Also had our first mess of Swiss Chard... Never grew it before, but I can tell you it will be in my gardens from now on!! It grows fast, regrows fast, and is a great sub for spinach which I have a hard time growing... Guess it gets too hot here too early for spinach...

Q-Ball
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	67426485604__740A052C-5DCB-4AC4-B057-63F4045E5FF6.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	24685345

1-Ball

Name:	67426471525__A4D4AB83-D978-4C6E-AE75-0FFE4A795BAD.JPG
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	24685346

8-Ball

Name:	67426507424__B94AF77F-05EB-45B3-8CDC-23961AB0B624.JPG
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	24685347

Grenade

Name:	67426494165__481EA55F-2497-419C-AC38-01BBBE194846.JPG
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	24685348

Tuesday's harvest... cukes starting to produce too, even a couple Zucc's. even a few banana peppers...

Name:	67444217154__28656A22-C8F7-4A8E-B794-3841FD8B77A7.JPG
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	24685349

2 more bags of blackberries

Name:	67444223239__1942BC1E-6669-4A1D-9CD3-BEDC77B6D6C9.JPG
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	24685350

Swiss chard sauteed in olive oil with onions n BACON!!

Name:	IMG_2431.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	24685351

Fried squash floatin' in da grease

Name:	IMG_2432.JPG
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	24685352

Pan seared venison backstrap with a heavy cream/caper sauce, fried squash and Swiss Chard

Name:	IMG_2433.JPG
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	24685353

Man I love it when the garden starts to yield its produce!!

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                          Ok next question, my cucumber plant have been putting out a ton of blooms but only a small percentage are turning into cukes. I have noticed the leaves on the very bottom have died and this just above have turned yellow. The rest of the plants seem to be thriving. Any ideas?

I appreciate all the advice given so far.

I'm 90% certain you have powdery mildew on those vines. You will not get fruit on the vines where they are yellowing and tough. This is all from painful experience for me this year. On all new growth, I keep it sprayed with baking soda. Tablespoon/gallon with 1/4t of dish soap. I spray every leaf on the vine, above and below. Will not help repair, but can keep it from spreading to new growth. Also, I am now self-pollinating every flower that has a baby cucumber. It's made a huge difference. No idea where the swarms of bees are this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
                            First harvest. It’s not much but it’s a start.

Question, if the tops of some of my onions have folded over, should I go ahead and pull them now or wait until the tops start turning brown?

The winds up here in north texas have been relentless and hard on my plants. I’m wondering if the winds could be affecting the pollinators. Been seeing plenty of blossoms but no activity.

I pulled most of mine today regardless of size(those that have blown over and pinched the stalks). Not sure if thats the right way to do it or not, but in past experience once they blow over they aren't bulbing much more. I typically just grow them to add to my pickles, etc so its not a big deal to me. I have sizes from golfballs to tennis balls. I don't think it will hurt them to leave in the ground and see what happens if you have the space.

Comment

This is my first year trying my hand at yellow squash. Last week all the leaves were pretty, and green. I have six plants in a 5×8 raised bed, they were crowded but growing great. This week they seem to be giving up, yellowing, and have a powdery mildew. What kills the powdery mildew, and did it cause their decline ? I was planning to post pictures but i guess i cant with the java turned off, right now thats the only way i can log on to TBH.

Comment

Ok i just scrolled up and read about baking soda solution, so I'm going to give that a try on my squash plants. I forgot to mention that i cut a lot of the dead leaves, and the ones with the mildew on them.

Comment

Working...
                                X