Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How big would a rattlesnake have to be to be record sized?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How big would a rattlesnake have to be to be record sized?

There are some bigguns that have been seen around the oil leases. I’ll probably have to remove those that are a threat to safety.

Could a person potentially earn some serious money if you caught one that was unusually large? Who would you contact to buy it?

Believe the longest western Dback on record is 7’8” or 7’9”

Want to say if you catch 6+ footers they are worth a couple hundred bucks or something but I’ll let someone else 100% confirm that

Comment

Only way to make money is place snake on a stick and hold out towards camera (with your arms and hands hidden) so it looks like a 12-13 footer.

Then get it all over social media.

Then still not make money

Comment

8 to 9 footers are common on the internet. I see the pictures so I know it's true.

Comment

At one time there was a place south of Austin, maybe San Marcos or close to San Antonio along I-35 that would pay by the pound for "live" Rattlesnakes.

I assure you, I never made a dime from the sales..........cause I aint picking them up alive!

Rwc

Comment

92 1/2" is the biggest Western Diamondback on record. If you found an 8 footer it'd be worth $25,000. Alive.

But say you found one that was 93". You wouldn't get near as much for it. It'd be better to contact a museum or something and donate it to them.
            Last edited by okrattler; 05-13-2022, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rwc View Post
              At one time there was a place south of Austin, maybe San Marcos or close to San Antonio along I-35 that would pay by the pound for "live" Rattlesnakes.

Rwc
              [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89VR_lZehw4"]Ray Wylie Hubbard "Snake Farm" - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

We've got some the last couple years that pushed 6 foot with their heads cut off but never attempted to grab them alive!!

Comment

Killed 2 rattlers in Spofford in Kinney county back in the early 1970's that were both pushing 7ft. Big old critters.

Comment

Taxidermists buy them...

Comment

When I was a kid we'd ride around at night and pick them up off the road. We'd sell them to folks at the rattlesnake roundup. Was pretty good money for a hs kid.

Comment

There's one on display at the King Ranch Museum that is huge. I don't remember the length and I couldn't find any info on their website.

Comment

My personal record is one that was picnic table length, whatever that is?
                          6ft is big , 7-7.5 huge

Comment

Had a lease in Irion co. that was covered in rattlers back in early 2000’s. Would collect them live and sell them to a local taxidermist by the lb. He would freeze dry them and then sell them. It would pay for my fuel and corn for the weekend. We had one we thought would go 7’ that got away from us. Couldn’t pin him with what we had, was too strong. After that, we contacted the Ft. Worth zoo to see if they would pay for a live 7’ rattler. They said they would pay 2k for a live 7’ snake. This was almost 20 yrs ago.

Comment

I just sent a message to Bourland on here to post up the pics of his snake... That way y'all can SEE what a biggun looks like!

Comment

Working...
                              X