Harbor Freight generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KGreene View Post
    I’m needing a new generator for the RV. Does anyone have any experience with Harbor Freights Predator 6500 watt non inverter ? I would be buying their extended warranty.
    They're good Generators and right now they're sending 25% no exclusions discount to everyone which makes it a HECK of a deal.

Comment

forgot to mention...
      you have to break it in.
      Repeat....break it in.
      Repeat again....break it in.

run it for the 30 mins to 1 hour...change oil.
      you WILL find shavings....at least I did and most youtubers say you will.

after the other break in and change oil times...which is a lot...can't remember 1 hour, 2 hour, 4 hour and 8 hour oil changes, you will not find any shavings and it will run like a champ.

Comment

Originally posted by frios View Post
        forgot to mention...
        you have to break it in.
        Repeat....break it in.

after the other break in and change oil times...which is a lot...can't remember 1 hour, 2 hour, 4 hour and 8 hour oil changes, you will not find any shavings and it will run like a champ.
        This is good to know, Thank you!

what oil do you use? I hear changing the oil on them is a little difficult as well?!

Comment

Originally posted by ATI View Post

what oil do you use? I hear changing the oil on them is a little difficult as well?!
          I used a full synthetic 10w-30

I have the 3500 inverter and the 9k generator.
          changing the oil on the inverter a little harder. You have to take off that plastic side panel to get to the fill hole, which you will need a small funnel that has a long spout. I had to put the 3500 on some 2x4s just to raise it a little more to drain.
          the 9k was super easy; everything is right there. drain and fill hole.

hope this helps.

Comment

The oil changes are easy. You either have to tilt them or buy one of these syringes. I use the syringes on my other small engines as well that need oil changes like lawnmowers or the clean water pump at the lease. Some of the bigger inverters even have a drain valve tube. I have a Predator 2000 and WEN 3800

Also recommend one of these for your generator during breakin and normal running. The magnetic dipsticks catches all the fine shavings.

Last edited by Smart; 05-03-2022, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ATI View Post

I use 4cycle small engine oil in mine. They say for the break in period conventional oil is best then after that you can use full synthetic.
              I use STP small engine synthetic blend and now have VP racing small engine oil full synthetic as well.
              I like the VP racing it’s SAE30/10w30 rated. It meets both 10w and SAE30 weight for a bigger temperature range.

Comment

IMO. Oil changes are easy. I enjoy tinkering/working on ‘em, though. Lol

I probably went over kill on my break in periods. I think I did like 4 oil changes with in the first 8 hours or so. I added in zinc additives as well.

Comment

forgot to mention...
                  you have to break it in.
                  Repeat....break it in.

That is excessive but I do agree that a 1 hour oil change and then an 8 hour is needed to get silver junk out of the oil.

I also think the magnetic dip stick is a must especially during break in.

This will make adding oil much easier

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                    pretty sure its the same generator with different color plastic
                    A quick search shows Predator became a company in 1988 and Champion in 2003. Im sure it’s all the same, like lawn mowers, John Deere is made from the same company that other mower are made by.

Comment

Thanks for the info, I will be picking one up this week.

Comment

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
                        I’ve read that they are pretty good, but the last time I was at Harbor Freight I saw that none of their generators have a 50 amp RV outlet. Even the big one only had a 30 amp outlet. Thought that was pretty weird.
                        pretty sure a 50amp/240 outlet would require a 12,000W running generator. Harbor freight doesn't make one that big.

Comment

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
                          I’ve read that they are pretty good, but the last time I was at Harbor Freight I saw that none of their generators have a 50 amp RV outlet. Even the big one only had a 30 amp outlet. Thought that was pretty weird.
                          50A requires 12500 version, but have not seen it around. I have only been able to find the 9500. Same with other brands. Based on a few weeks of looking around at them, not heavy research.

Comment

I don't have experience with NON inverter - I have the 3500 inverter generator for my RV and I absolutely love it. Soooooo quiet.
                            Agreed. Only thing I don't like is that there is no gas shutoff to burn the gas out of the carburetor, and no easy way to drain the gas from the gas tank in case it has to set up for a long period. I've tried Ethanol free gas as well as putting Stabil in the regular gas when it is going to set up for a while , and both still glazed over the carburetor and I had to have it rebuilt.

When the carburetor is clean, it starts up right away and runs excellent. Very quite and very fuel effecient.

Comment

Originally posted by goldtip5575 View Post
                              Agreed. Only thing I don't like is that there is no gas shutoff to burn the gas out of the carburetor, and no easy way to drain the gas from the gas tank in case it has to set up for a long period. I've tried Ethanol free gas as well as putting Stabil in the regular gas when it is going to set up for a while , and both still glazed over the carburetor and I had to have it rebuilt.

When the carburetor is clean, it starts up right away and runs excellent. Very quite and very fuel effecient.
                              Technically, there is a way to use a gas shut off. When on and in the run position…I turn the dial and stop it right before it’s all the way in the off position. So it’s real close on the dial to being off. Think I stop my when it’s lined up with the first F where it reads off. If that makes sense. Lol

It’ll continue to run for a few minutes before the carb runs out of gas then it’ll die on it’s on.

After I kill it and I have time I use the drain screw/hose to empty the carburetor. Just turn the screw with the dial in the run position.

I’m referring to the Predator 3500 and the 2000 inverters.
                              Last edited by Bone Thug; 05-03-2022, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                                That is excessive but I do agree that a 1 hour oil change and then an 8 hour is needed to get silver junk out of the oil.

I also think the magnetic dip stick is a must especially during break in.

This will make adding oil much easier
                                https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

thanks for the link, will definitely use it.

Comment

Working...
                                X