No announcement yet.

Salt water pool or fresh water pool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salt water is a disasters on many fronts. Go with a chlorine with a UV and Ozone cleaner. You need very little chlorine. In fact you can't even smell the chlorine in water or on you as the level is so low. The additional cost of UV and ozone cleaners is around $1250 for everything.

Comment

I run a business that builds custom pools. I prefer chlorine and that's what my personal pool is. Out of every 100 pools we build, 99 of them are not salt. Salt pools will corrode pumps ( impellers and gears) much faster, can damage natural stone around your pool ( which we use a lot), and the salt generators seem to need replaced sooner than they should. Some people love them but I'm not a big fan and we don't build many of them unless a customer insists which doesn't happen often. There are pros and cons to both.

Comment

Originally posted by RWB View Post
        I have had both and prefer chlorine vs salt. Chlorine just seems to stay cleaner to me. If you do salt dont do natural stone around the pool. Also if you do salt make sure to keep the no spray end on your polaris. Anything the salt water hits is going to rust. Just my 2 cents and I bet you will get the exact opposite of my opinion.
        It's easy to switch from salt to chlorine if you dont like it just have to eat the cost of the salt cell.

^^^^^^^^^This. I’m not a volume builder, but we build 30+\- chlorine pools/yr and zero salt. I give the option but it doesn’t make sense to create a saltwater beach environment in your backyard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Salt is easier to deal with day to day but that salt eats uo everything

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
            I run a business that builds custom pools. I prefer chlorine and that's what my personal pool is. Out of every 100 pools we build, 99 of them are not salt. Salt pools will corrode pumps ( impellers and gears) much faster, can damage natural stone around your pool ( which we use a lot), and the salt generators seem to need replaced sooner than they should. Some people love them but I'm not a big fan and we don't build many of them unless a customer insists which doesn't happen often. There are pros and cons to both.
            Our pool builder gave us the same advice, strongly leaning towards a chlorine system. He liked to say "they're all chlorine pools anyway, chlorine is in salt" and then would laugh.

Comment

There’s a reason companies are fading away from salt pools. I researched the ever living crap out it when we built ours 2 years ago and the vast majority of pool owners were, or were wanting to, switch to chlorine. No pool owners, that I researched, wanted to change from chlorine to salt. My pool builder makes more money off salt pools and steered me clear of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
                Originally posted by Swampa View Post
                ^^^^^^^^^This. I’m not a volume builder, but we build 30+\- chlorine pools/yr and zero salt. I give the option but it doesn’t make sense to create a saltwater beach environment in your backyard.

This should be all the input you need.

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
                  This is 100% false! I have a salt pool, it’s great and only runs 3500 ppm salt (which is less than a eye tear drop). Add salt every so often and muriatic acid to clear pool after rains and heavy pool usage. Clean the salt cell as recommended. Water is so much softer.
                  This. I’ve built pools for 13 years

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
                    We have natural stone and pool is 10 years old. All original equipment, works great. I also do my own pool cleaning, water testing, etc and Care for it weekly. I had a standard pool on last home, this salt system is far superior.
                    Clean the salt cell with acid once a year as recommended this should be the case.

Comment

Originally posted by meangreen View Post
                      This. I’ve built pools for 13 years
                      I’ve only met 4 pool builders in my life but you disagree with all 4 of them. Add the 2 that have chimed in here and that puts it @ 6 against salt, 1 for salt. That’s 85.7% of pool builders say no salt.

Comment

If you do the maintenance on a salt pool...........
                        It's water, is far superior...........
                        I've had both.......
                        Yep, each have they're drawbacks...........and pluses ..................
                        I prefer Salt.............
                        So put me down, as #2........

Comment

Based on our data over 4-5 years and over 100s of pools, salt use 18% more $ in chemicals and 22% more in repairs.
                          So if you aren’t doing it for the feel of the water don’t

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkles View Post
                            Based on our data over 4-5 years and over 100s of pools, salt use 18% more $ in chemicals and 22% more in repairs.
                            So if you aren’t doing it for the feel of the water don’t

Super close to my wife's numbers. She is a pool builder and will NOT build a sal water pool. She does install UV and Ozone standard on all pools.

Comment

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post
                              I’ve only met 4 pool builders in my life but you disagree with all 4 of them. Add the 2 that have chimed in here and that puts it @ 6 against salt, 1 for salt. That’s 85.7% of pool builders say no salt.
                              Make it 7. My wife builds 30 to 50 a year and has never done one and will not do one in the future. Anyone recommending one is stuck in the 90s and early 2000s. Trend has moved away from them for a decade for all the reasons mentioned above.

She has converted over 20 systems from Salt to Chlorine. She has converted zero Chlorine to Salt.

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
                                Salt water is a disasters on many fronts. Go with a chlorine with a UV and Ozone cleaner. You need very little chlorine. In fact you can't even smell the chlorine in water or on you as the level is so low. The additional cost of UV and ozone cleaners is around $1250 for everything.
                                This is what we did and we have been very pleased.

Comment

Working...
                                X