22 Mag VS 17 HMR Comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

22 Mag VS 17 HMR Comparison

Light and fast vs heavy and slower. Which has more killing power? This should end that debate forever with these 2 calibers....

Cool. I like my .22 mag

Comment

I don’t see that ends anything. 22 mag penetrates far better. That’s never really been anyone’s argument. They both do a good jobs different aspects, and each will perform differently depending on game, shot placement, and projectile. For many applications I’d rather have a 17HMR. For others I’d rather have a 22 WMR. Both are fun to shoot and hunt with though.

Comment

^ I agree, it's like comparing a 22-250 vs a 308.

I was surprised that at a 100 yards the 22 mag almost made it into the 5th jug.

Comment

I love both. My ONLY complaint is the 22 mag just isn’t as accurate as the 17, in my experience.

Comment

17 wins again. I don't want huge penetration on my rimfire, I want all the energy consumed within 1-6 inches and massive bullet expansion/explosion. Most my targets for that gun are 6" or less thick, so penetration past that is just a waste of energy.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
              I don’t see that ends anything. 22 mag penetrates far better. That’s never really been anyone’s argument. They both do a good jobs different aspects, and each will perform differently depending on game, shot placement, and projectile. For many applications I’d rather have a 17HMR. For others I’d rather have a 22 WMR. Both are fun to shoot and hunt with though.
              Oh there have been many debates over the years.. No different than the arrow weight/speed debates.. Physics are physics..
              Dont get me wrong I love the 17...

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                I love both. My ONLY complaint is the 22 mag just isn’t as accurate as the 17, in my experience.
                Same here.

Comment

If you are going after pigs and body shots, 22Mag wins that one hands down.

Comment

I have lost fox, bobcat and coyote with excellent bullet placement inside of 100 yards with the 17HMR, now use it for coon and down targets. The 22WMR just seems to anchor predators better. JMHO

Comment

[ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K_ctBmRzewI"]Mouse Hunt - Pest Control & Thermal Shooting with a 22LR Lithgow LA101 - YouTube[/ame]
                      This guy explodes some mice with 22lr, pretty interesting footage thru a thermal...also has videos shooting rabbits with 17hmr and 204 ruger...and even 308 lol always good to have multiple tools

Comment

still holding out for a 22 WSM someday. until then... sticking with my 17 wsm

Comment

I love my 17HMR. Groups insanely tight and down right killer! Shot placement is key but that goes for any rifle.

Comment

For bigger critters I prefer the .22mag. I've killed a lot with both but a badger is about the biggest animal I'd expect the .17hmr to kill consistently. If I were targeting animals over 15 pounds I'd choose the .22mag and 40 grain JHP's.

Comment

Which one dies quicker. One that is tickled to death or one that is stabbed to death.

Comment

Working...
                              X