No announcement yet.

Opinions on Shallow Sport 24 Foot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve got the same boat in 21’. It will run crazy shallow but isn’t a boat you want to run to rigs in. I’ll likely be in a 24’ in three years or so.

Comment

Agree on "if priced right" knowing a repower could be in the future. Had a early Gen1 HO. Rated 200 but had more torque then the 60deg 200 with closer to 225-230hp based on the prop it would swing. The gear case was geared different also.

I just don't have much faith in a 10-12yr old Gen1 ran on the coast. Great hull if you know how to avoid rollers crossing a bay system. I've had a 18, 20, and now 24 classic with no issues getting where I need to be. The extra 3' over the 21 makes a huge difference.

Comment

Opinions on Shallow Sport 24 Foot

There’s a reason evinrude went out of business. (Or the politically correct answer that the parent company bombardier choose to focus on other product lines).

It’s a good skinny water boat. It’s probably in the top 3 worst rising 24’ boats in a chop. That’s not what it’s made for though.

If you’re looking for a shallow boat I would buy with the understanding it will need to be repowered soon.
        Last edited by kyle1974; 05-30-2022, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Appreciate all the feedback gentlemen. With most of our fishing being done in the upper coast (East Marty up to East Bay and all areas in between), my back is telling me we need a hull with a slightly deeper v. Going to pass on this and look for another hull/motor. If anyone is interested in this one, he’s asking $42k and the motor only has 210 hours on it. Been stored covered all its life and located in South Padre. I have multiple videos of it running couple weekends ago if anyone wants me to send them as well as more photos.

Comment

That's a great deal on that boat. For where you are fishing, you will likely appreciate something a little deeper. If you fished from POC and South, this boat is hard to beat.
            They are rough, but the length really helps with the chop. They ride much drier than you would think.

The good news is if it is rough they run skinny enough to really hug the shore with little worry. I had lots of track lines that looked like they were on dry land when you look back at them from when the wind kicked up in my SCB. And the SS will go even skinnier. That's why its about all you see in Mansfield/SPI.

Comment

Might be a good price but if you have to repower just figure roughly $100 per horse.

Comment

A lot of good info in this thread.

Comment

No way I would pay $42,000 for any boat with a 2 stroke. That engine is 20 years old. Evinrude went out of business in 2003.

A brand new 4 stroke Mercury 200 is $20,000. I would rather have a 20 year old hull with a new engine, than a new hull with a 20 year old engine.

Comment

Originally posted by eastover53 View Post
                    No way I would pay $42,000 for any boat with a 2 stroke. That engine is 20 years old. Evinrude went out of business in 2003.

A brand new 4 stroke Mercury 200 is $20,000. I would rather have a 20 year old hull with a new engine, than a new hull with a 20 year old engine.
                    The Etech was in production until 2020. Evinrude went under in 2003 but BRP bought them and operated until 2020. The motor on this boat is a 2013 or newer, I believe.

Comment

A new similar rigged 24 sport will be in excess of $100k so $42k isn't out of line in todays market.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                        The Etech was in production until 2020. Evinrude went under in 2003 but BRP bought them and operated until 2020. The motor on this boat is a 2013 or newer, I believe.
                        You are correct. I misspoke.

Comment

I have owned (2) 21’ Shallow Sports
                          I still have my latest model.
                          It’s a 2000 hull and just this weekend People complimented on how nice it looked and couldn’t believe it when I said it’s 22 years old.

It depends on what bay complexes you intended to fish the majority of your time. Being designed for the Laguna Madre and shallow water, they do not handle heavy chop very well, but I’m sure a 24’ would perform better than a 21’ in heavier chop.

In big deep bays, like Baffin or Galveston bays, I would probably would not suggest that hull. But, use the boat as it’s designed for and run shallow everywhere and you have the option for the smooth rides in shallow water, whereas many boats do not have that option. I run a lot at night early before sun rise to go floundering, I have to cross a bay with many areas that can be dangerous due to the shallow bars and shallow entrances and have never stuck mine to date. Keep it jacked up and trimmed up and it’ll be fine unless you just find something less then 6”s in depth.

What I like about mine is the confidence and worry free ability to pretty much run anywhere and not run a ground. If water depth is above my wading boot, it’ll run over it but don’t shut down or slow down. It’ll get up in knee deep water. Learning how to operate these boats helps.
                          They do not steer the same as a v hull or tunnel v, so steering is a down side in my opinion.

I have been offshore in both of mine on the right days.

My boat is rigged almost identical to that boat
                          T- top
                          Raised console
                          Light bar
                          I-pilot
                          Power pole (1)
                          Wading ladder
                          Oxygen bottle
                          Sound system
                          LED DECK lights above and below

Shallow Sport makes a solid boat and the later models have much better finishes. They hold their resale value very well and are highly sought after.

I’d give it a full lengthy inspection, a solid and long test run, and do a compression test on all cylinders prior. Get history from owner and find out why their selling and how many previous owners.

I will sell mine after I catch a tagged redfish!(maybe)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Public View Post
                            I have owned (2) 21’ Shallow Sports
                            I still have my latest model.
                            It’s a 2000 hull and just this weekend People complimented on how nice it looked and couldn’t believe it when I said it’s 22 years old.

It depends on what bay complexes you intended to fish the majority of your time. Being designed for the Laguna Madre and shallow water, they do not handle heavy chop very well, but I’m sure a 24’ would perform better than a 21’ in heavier chop.

In big deep bays, like Baffin or Galveston bays, I would probably would not suggest that hull. But, use the boat as it’s designed for and run shallow everywhere and you have the option for the smooth rides in shallow water, whereas many boats do not have that option. I run a lot at night early before sun rise to go floundering, I have to cross a bay with many areas that can be dangerous due to the shallow bars and shallow entrances and have never stuck mine to date. Keep it jacked up and trimmed up and it’ll be fine unless you just find something less then 6”s in depth.

What I like about mine is the confidence and worry free ability to pretty much run anywhere and not run a ground. If water depth is above my wading boot, it’ll run over it but don’t shut down or slow down. It’ll get up in knee deep water. Learning how to operate these boats helps.
                            They do not steer the same as a v hull or tunnel v, so steering is a down side in my opinion.

I have been offshore in both of mine on the right days.

My boat is rigged almost identical to that boat
                            T- top
                            Raised console
                            Light bar
                            I-pilot
                            Power pole (1)
                            Wading ladder
                            Oxygen bottle
                            Sound system
                            LED DECK lights above and below

Shallow Sport makes a solid boat and the later models have much better finishes. They hold their resale value very well and are highly sought after.

I’d give it a full lengthy inspection, a solid and long test run, and do a compression test on all cylinders prior. Get history from owner and find out why their selling and how many previous owners.

I will sell mine after I catch a tagged redfish!(maybe)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Yep

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                              One look at all the trim tabs/gadgetry on the boat and motor tells me right quick that it is a porpoising son of a gun and did not handle big water at all. Go for a 20 mile ride and then see what you think.
                              Those tabs aren't hydraulic or adjustable on the fly and the cav plate is to help run shallow. Basically none of that gadgetry would help solve an issue I doubt that boat has

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                                Appreciate all the feedback gentlemen. With most of our fishing being done in the upper coast (East Marty up to East Bay and all areas in between), my back is telling me we need a hull with a slightly deeper v. Going to pass on this and look for another hull/motor. If anyone is interested in this one, he’s asking $42k and the motor only has 210 hours on it. Been stored covered all its life and located in South Padre. I have multiple videos of it running couple weekends ago if anyone wants me to send them as well as more photos.

If I were you, I'd book Capt. Glenn for a day's fishin' and go ride in HIS boat!! Best riding bay boat I've ever fished out of... And in a year or two, it'll be for sale probably 'cause he'll be gettin' another one!!

Comment

Working...
                                X