Regular vs Premium Unleaded?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With regular unleaded over $4 per gallon, it made me wonder why anyone would buy premium right now. I understand some vehicles require it as my daughter has one but other than in those cases, what advantages are there? I would think that the demand for premium fuel would be extremely low right now.

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
    With regular unleaded over $4 per gallon, it made me wonder why anyone would buy premium right now. I understand some vehicles require it as my daughter has one but other than in those cases, what advantages are there? I would think that the demand for premium fuel would be extremely low right now.
    I run ethanol free in my Tacoma. It cost more than the 10% ethanol but I get better mileage with it.
    Last edited by Bone Thug; 05-24-2022, 11:30 AM.

Comment

No need unless you are looking for better fuel economy and more performance. Today's modern engine control systems will learn as you burn. Using lower octane fuel the EMS will learn how much timing to retard and how much to adjust the duty cycle of the injectors so as to not harm the motor or burn a hole in a piston. At first there may be some knock or detonation but the knock sensors will soon have that under control. After the first tank of fuel you can motor on. Maybe not as fast and not as good of fuel economy but you can get by. Just be sure to go easy on the throttle if you run regular in a motor requiring premium fuel.
      My Cheby High Country 6.2L calls for premium but I run regular now. Gas mileage is down 2 mpg but motor is not hurting for power with regular driving.

Comment

Originally posted by Bone Thug View Post
        I run ethanol free in my Tacoma. It cost more than a than the 10% ethanol but I get better mileage with it.
        That's what I was wondering. I figured maybe it helped fuel mileage enough to make up for the cost difference. Otherwise I don't see why anyone would buy it.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
          No need unless you are looking for better fuel economy and more performance. Today's modern engine control systems will learn as you burn. Using lower octane fuel the EMS will learn how much timing to retard and how much to adjust the duty cycle of the injectors so as to not harm the motor or burn a hole in a piston. At first there may be some knock or detonation but the knock sensors will soon have that under control. After the first tank of fuel you can motor on. Maybe not as fast and not as good of fuel economy but you can get by. Just be sure to go easy on the throttle if you run regular in a motor requiring premium fuel.
          My Cheby High Country 6.2L calls for premium but I run regular now. Gas mileage is down 2 mpg but motor is not hurting for power with regular driving.
          I have the 6.2 as well, but I fill up with premium

Comment

My boat motor is the only thing that sees anything other than regular.
            Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
              So 2mpg lesser gas mileage is all you have noticed with no power loss? If that's the case, I can't imagine the extra cost being worth it until costs go down.

Comment

This has been debated time after time. There isn't or shouldn't be any mpg difference between the them. If there is then something funky is going on. I've tested this thoroughly myself and have found no significant difference in my mpg since 2016. There can be benefits of using the premium over regular but it all depends. Gas companies claim the premiums have more additives in it but don't say how much specifically or what kinds. We just have to assume it's better with whatever blend they choose. You would probably be better off buying regular and running some Marvels Mystery Oil through the tank every few fillups.

I'm only taking into consideration vehicles that do not require it.
                Last edited by FCoDxDart; 05-24-2022, 11:55 AM.

Comment

It takes a LOT more than 2mpg gain or loss to offset the cost difference in gas cost.

I did an analysis when we bought my wife’s car on gave vs hybrid and with a 6-8mpg difference it would take over 6 years to make up the difference in cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

My Yukon Denali 6.2 is recommended Premium. It is an 09, I would venture previous owners didn't run it, I did a bit when we had the prebrandon gas prices and noticed no difference besides extra $.

I am sure somebody will come along and post how their fancy car exploded into flames the minute that 87 touched the tank.

Comment

the main reason to use ethanol free gas is it will keep longer .. i use it in my mower .. people who use boats in the summer may use it before they put them up.. those kind of things .. as far as premium fuel goes ... some engines require them , high compression etc .. your gas cap location will usually list the minimum octane recommended by the manufacturer ...

you can go below that , but expect power loss and potential chattering of the valves especially under load.

if your car is designed for regular , putting premium won't do much , some newer vehicles may learn and advance timing and get you minimal power increase ... you can tell a difference in an ecoboost while towing heavy loads ... aside from that , it may just be placebo if you feel any difference at all ..

most vehicles won't gain enough mpg to go with higher grade fuels..

but if you run cheap gas all the time , injector cleaner once in a while is not a bad idea ... pretty much same additives as you get in premium fuels...

Comment

Premium only in my car, and the truck is a diesel. If the MFG rates the car for a certain fuel, then there will be issues if something fails during the warranty period. Ford is notorious for fighting warranty claims, and I certainly would not risk it.

Yes all relatively new cars will compensate for regular. But I guess there is a reason engineers decide certain vehicles need premium vs regular.

Comment

I run premium in my Harley. High compression so I got to.
                          Regular in my pickups.
                          Ethanol free in my four wheeler and all small engines.

Comment

I had a TRX Launch edition truck with a 700 horse power engine with a super charger.
                            Regular gas was 4 miles per gallon less than regular.

Comment

What about adding an octane booster to regular fuel? One 15oz bottle is $8 and good for 25gal(full tank on most vehicles). Not sure on the cost savings of regular vs premium car an $8 bottle. But maybe saves some money?

Wonder if it would offer the same performance the manufacturer is looking for with premium fuel?

Comment

Working...
                              X