Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone bought strangers mounts for your wall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd have no problem buying one if I didn't have one of my own and needed it to go with the decor in a room, like over a fireplace or something. I'd shamelessly make up all kinds of good stories about it.

Comment

I have a old bass hanging in the garage that I found at a carwash. I never tell anyone that I was the one that caught it.

My Dad always said

"every fish tale you tell someone, is one less fish God lets you put in your boat."

He must have told a ton of them, cause my Dad never caught very much. LOL

Comment

So whatever makes you happy……just be honest about it

Comment

Well for the ones that don't mind hanging others trophies on the wall start saving your money because with this economy only getting worse there will be plenty available... I know several full time shops that will be selling mounted trophies shortly... Unpaid invoices for finished work are stacking up high and fast... Its a **** shame..

Comment

Anyone want to buy a Nilgai?

Comment

If I found a good deal on a bison, moose or steer, why not? Fun to look at and can be enjoyed either way.
              A friend had the sheep grand slam and a bunch of other really interesting trophy class mounts I’d have loved to have had simply from hearing and reading his stories and the memories from our time together.
              I’ve given up on my quest for a jackalope and had to settle for one someone else has gotten.

Comment

I've never been in the situation to buy someone else's mounts, but it always seemed like an odd thing to do. Then we were in an antique shop a few months back and they had some really neat, old mounts. A few fish, one deer, and a cool euro Mule Deer. I thought long and hard about buying the muley and one of the fish. Just to have them in my office at work. They were old enough that it would be obvious I wasn't the person that took the animals.

I decided against it. I could see the conversations that would come from visitors.

"Great muley! Where did you get him?"

Back corner of the local antique store.

Comment

I have a wall full….most from estate or garage sales….all are for sale and everyone who sees them know where they came from …..have another wall full that are my harvests and are not for sale….to each their own but I hate to see a good mount be forgotten or trashed no matter who shot it!

Comment

I never have but I could understand from a decor position. I always had more of my own than my ex wife thought I needed, still have the mounts

Comment

I've been thinking lately what I'll do with my dad's some day....I don't really have room for them, and would only really want one of them. I'd probably make some bad *** rattling horns from one of the others.

Comment

A guy gave me a 300"+ elk. Beautiful mount. It's in my son's room.

Comment

Only problem I see is lying about where it came from

Want a ________ on the wall that someone else shot fine with me.
                          If you make up some BS story about where/how/when it was taken by you when anyone asks then I see that as wrong.

Jackalopes and those deer butt critters exempt from making up lies/tall tales

Comment

I bought a house on Lake Fork from the son of the owner who had died.
                            He left 13 trophy bass on the walls and six years later I sold the house and left all 13 on the walls for the new owner. Everyone who entered my house asked about them and the old man got all the credit.
                            I have a Russian boar mount in my outdoor kitchen that just looks the part that a neighbor gave me to keep it out of the trash.
                            Judge not lest ye be judged.
                            OP, I understood the intentions of your original post and don’t understand folks trying to twist it another direction.
                            Carry on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

The only way I might buy a mounted animal, would be if it was some well known huge buck, or elk. Then I would display it like Cabela’s does. With the the known info, where and when killed, killed who, what the used. Then the story of the hunt. It would be more of a historic hunting art display. But since I don’t own some huge mansion and have many millions in the bank, I don’t see me doing anything like it that.

Comment

I don't think I would buy just a random mount, but I would happily hang a mount of an animal someone else took if I had a connection to the story of the animal. I could think of almost all the ones in my dads house and a few from a couple different hunting buddies over the years when they become available.

Got to have a story/memory to go along with every mount!

Comment

Working...
                                X