No announcement yet.

Lake Dunlap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It will become an ATV park when it dries out a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
      Video of the dam bursting!

https://www.facebook.com/GBRAofTexas...ref=nf&__xts__[0]=68.ARCszJ6RsXCeSdp7RXxYvGmQMpNswEhr0moPMIh1M96yDg _XfC-Zbs1fSjp5-w7k1sY3daszg075sWijIEcwNG44BF3H5ytVGe-LyC-YlhqOwYQH-AyCcwq6dMUc0piWWtlL6FFt3viLyNdwkZ39jYMCCEbc9xxp8Yg kAe89i5-C0CyRnhrvcGvWulGJxufaeyjbnslYZ922S5_iJj_j8B6zjqYGc YAAtit8_3NwMhCMJ52kX6E5HhQCQ-qkonhr5WdeT2vcIulrnYTjTNEEHzc2N--o7k-QAyR4rjgsRfc6AB08v1nop9yn1OcbQ0ONLSBrRrehNRrNDjqec JGMia2jo42ZEWGc
      I lived on the lake for 20 years. Can’t begin to count the number of times I’ve fished right up against the dam. Thought about this happening ever time I I casted.

Comment

Originally posted by txbonecollector View Post
        Look up photos of Lake Wood in Gonzales, TX where they experienced the same dam/gate failure 3YRS ago... Trees, Weeds, Grass all now fill the area where we once enjoyed skiing, fishing and boating. This is GBRA also... No money, No fix, no worries... Feel bad for the lake front property owners.

We’ll I guess on the bright side their lots double in size...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
          Why would it not work that way? I am not saying they will be taxed the same I'm just saying they will still be assessed for being riverfront as they will now have river front property. Doesn't matter what they try, there are not enough rooftops to make a difference tax wise. The dam cost too much to fix. They dont give discounts on lake travis or any other lake that drops significantly during droughts.
          Not sure what your considering “ not to many roof tops”, but Dunlap is solid homes on both sides of lake from IH 35 all the way to the dam. It’s 7 miles between the dam and IH 35. Countless 1,000,000 $ plus homes.

Comment

Originally posted by webb09 View Post
            Not sure what your considering “ not to many roof tops”, but Dunlap is solid homes on both sides of lake from IH 35 all the way to the dam. It’s 7 miles between the dam and IH 35. Countless 1,000,000 $ plus homes.
            In the big picture the tax cuts will be small and wont add up to much compared to what it will cost to build new dam. The more I have learned about the situation the more I stick by it not getting repaired in the near future(5 to 10 years).

Comment

Haven't seen it discussed here so.... Do the property owners gain the property rights down to the river? Extra acreage?

Comment

Originally posted by locolobo View Post
                Haven't seen it discussed here so.... Do the property owners gain the property rights down to the river? Extra acreage?

That’s what I was thinking I don’t see why they wouldn’t unless something to do with going past the break/retaining wall?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

if there is no longer a purpose of a lake being there for anything other than property value and recreation then it'll never be rebuilt. unless the property owners pool their money to fund the project.

Comment

Was the hydro plant still producing power before the collapse?

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                      Now is the time to take lots of pictures and look for irregular fish holding features on the exposed bottom!
                      You right about that

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
                        In the big picture the tax cuts will be small and wont add up to much compared to what it will cost to build new dam. The more I have learned about the situation the more I stick by it not getting repaired in the near future(5 to 10 years).
                        Oh...I thought your position was they would never repair the dam. I hope for property owners sake your wrong. My guess is it’s fixed in the next 3 to 5 years.

Comment

In that part of Texas, being so close to the booming population growth of Central Texas, I can’t imagine them not fixing it, at some point. You can never have too much water stored away. 2011 wasn’t that long ago, surely long term planners haven’t forgotten about that already

Comment

Originally posted by HOOKNBULLET2 View Post
                            I went and looked at it today. The water by Schumann’s beach is about 100 yards wide versus the 400+ yards wide before the dam failure. The flow was really good. Looks like the original river channel is where the water is. Same down by the dam. I could see where after the lake bed dries out this could be a good 7 mile float trip. Folks need to rebuild/engineer there waterfront but it could still be usable recreational property until the dam is fixed.
                            One thing to keep in mind is Canyon Lake is above pool, and they are releasing a lot of water. Right now they are releasing 1700+ cfs. Under normal conditions, the release is around 100-200cfs. So things will probably look a lot different once Canyon gets back down to normal.

Comment

Originally posted by webb09 View Post
                              Oh...I thought your position was they would never repair the dam. I hope for property owners sake your wrong. My guess is it’s fixed in the next 3 to 5 years.
                              I dont think it will be repaired. If it is it will be atleast 10 year before its is done.

Comment

Absolutley horrible.. This will never be fixed UNLESS some politicians get involved.. Politics and money go hand in hand.. I sure hope some heavy hitters have Lake Dunlap Property and their kids or grand kids are screaming right now.. If not then it's over..

These old dams breaking have me even more concerned about the OLD BIG dams in this state..

Comment

Working...
                                X