Anybody deal with eye floaters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody deal with eye floaters?

Saturday afternoon I was clearing some dead limbs and took a slight poke in the corner of my eye. It wasn't bad - only hurt for a minute and didn't even leave a red mark on my eyeball. The next morning I woke up to find I have a little squiggle floating around in that eye. It is most noticeable when looking at a blank wall, the sky or a computer screen. After consulting my primary care physician (Dr Google) I'm not sure it is even related to getting poked - floaters are very common and have multiple causes. Everything I read said it is not even worth a doctor's visit unless your vision is narrowing or getting blurry. (symptom of detached retina) It also seems there is no real treatment - you just have to get used to it. Sometimes they go away sometimes not. Right now it is really annoying - anybody deal with this?

I thought everyone over 40 had floaters. I have them but only notice them under certain conditions. Maybe you are more focused on your vision after injuring your eye.

Comment

I see them when looking through a scope.

Comment

I've had eye floaters since I was really young (early elementary school first time I noticed them)...several in each eye. I only really notice them in high contrast situations but I guess b/c I've had them so long I've learned to ignore them

Comment

I had one about 10 years ago that completely blurred my vision in one eye for about 4 hours. Thought my retina detached so I went to emergency room. They sent me home and it cleared up. No problems sense. I would just see a eye doctor just to be sure.

I bet its just a minor scratch to the eye and will heal in a few days. Will be annoying though.

Comment

I’m 34 and I remember having them since I was little like 7 or 8 years old. I never knew what they were. I was scared to ask, I thought it was ghost or something when I was younger lol.
            Last edited by STX_Shooter; 02-03-2020, 10:52 AM.

Comment

I can’t remember ever not having them

Comment

When I scratched my eye a couple times I went to Opthamology Associates on Lancaster/Summit. They always got me in quickly and were very thorough and didn’t break my wallet. You only have one set of eyes - the worst they can tell you is “it’s normal”.

Comment

get em all the time. you try and focus on em and they run away lol. i was told its small build up similar to the crust that builds up in your eye when you sleep.

Comment

I've had them all my life, they come and go. My eye doc said they were a protein something or other that gets into this certain part of the eye to optic nerve connection. At least that's the best I remember the conversation according to my memory, (my least reliable source of information).

Comment

Need to get the eye checked. My eye doc in Katy looks at my floaters every 6 months. Floaters can be caused from eye disease, eye injury, tumors, etc. Best since you poked your eye that you get them checked.

Comment

I had floaters so bad a few years after cataract surgery I had to have a vitrectomy in both eyes. A few floaters is nothing to worry about.

Comment

If that bugs you, you should try an ocular migraine! I get them about twice a month, usually a crescent-shaped squiggle in my vision that starts small near the center and expands out to the edge over the course of half an hour or so. It’s a moon-shaped spot that looks like tv static. Started when I was a teenager, scared the hell out of me until I was finally able to get an eye doc to understand what I was describing. Apparently I’m one of the lucky few that get them without any pain like a normal migraine. I’ve been told to pay attention to foods or stress to figure out what might trigger them, but I’ve never been able to see any kind of pattern.

Comment

Had them as long as I can remember. I still have 20/20 vision so I don’t worry about them.

Comment

Originally posted by TexOddball View Post
                              If that bugs you, you should try an ocular migraine! I get them about twice a month, usually a crescent-shaped squiggle in my vision that starts small near the center and expands out to the edge over the course of half an hour or so. It’s a moon-shaped spot that looks like tv static. Started when I was a teenager, scared the hell out of me until I was finally able to get an eye doc to understand what I was describing. Apparently I’m one of the lucky few that get them without any pain like a normal migraine. I’ve been told to pay attention to foods or stress to figure out what might trigger them, but I’ve never been able to see any kind of pattern.
                              I get these also and it seems to be at random.

If floaters are really bad, they can be reduced with a laser treatment.

Comment

Working...
                              X