No announcement yet.

Calling all plumber and all around cool guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is nothing wrong with the PVC you have. I would get rid of that crappy PVC ball valve and replace it with a bronze valve. For freeze protection every winter I zip tie one of the Golden Rod heaters like are used in gun safes to the PVC where it comes out of the ground. The heaters are available on Amazon. Then zip tie pipe insulation over the whole exposed part. The heaters run all winter. They are only 8 watts so not a big issue with power consumption and they provide just enough heat so you pipes will never freeze in our climate.

As far as the yard guys, I cut a T-post into 18" lengths and drove them next to my water stub ups. Then put a piece of 2" PVC with a cap over them for safety.

Comment

Originally posted by kmitchl View Post
      There is nothing wrong with the PVC you have. I would get rid of that crappy PVC ball valve and replace it with a bronze valve. For freeze protection every winter I zip tie one of the Golden Rod heaters like are used in gun safes to the PVC where it comes out of the ground. The heaters are available on Amazon. Then zip tie pipe insulation over the whole exposed part. The heaters run all winter. They are only 8 watts so not a big issue with power consumption and they provide just enough heat so you pipes will never freeze in our climate.

As far as the yard guys, I cut a T-post into 18" lengths and drove them next to my water stub ups. Then put a piece of 2" PVC with a cap over them for safety.

I’m assuming that’s a union ball valve, just judging from the way it looks. If I went back with a bronze valve (which I’m not against) how would I glue everything back up without a union. Maybe a slip coupling underground? I’ve used them a few times and always feel like it’s Russian roulette.

Or do you think I could leave a section out of the pipe for a valve and pull both ends away from house enough to glue the valve in place?

If so I will do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Are you sure this is the in coming waterline? Usually the in coming water would be under ground and you would not see it. However something may have gone wrong with it and it was replaced with pvc and connected at the wall hydrant. My guess is that this pvc line goes to something outside of the house a faucet or building or barn etc and your in coming line comes in some where else. This is a common hookup for a extra waterline leaving the house. With that being said I would wrap with heat trace (wire) tape, insulate it very well, build a box around it from ground to hydrant seal it up (caulk it) with plug for heat trace out where you can plug into a extension cord on below freezing days/nights. I don’t think you have that many freezing days in Tomball. Hope this helps. PM me # if you want to discuss In more detail.

Comment

Looks like an East TX. plumber did that hook up!

Comment

Originally posted by RLhunter View Post
            Are you sure this is the in coming waterline? Usually the in coming water would be under ground and you would not see it. However something may have gone wrong with it and it was replaced with pvc and connected at the wall hydrant. My guess is that this pvc line goes to something outside of the house a faucet or building or barn etc and your in coming line comes in some where else. This is a common hookup for a extra waterline leaving the house. With that being said I would wrap with heat trace (wire) tape, insulate it very well, build a box around it from ground to hydrant seal it up (caulk it) with plug for heat trace out where you can plug into a extension cord on below freezing days/nights. I don’t think you have that many freezing days in Tomball. Hope this helps. PM me # if you want to discuss In more detail.

I’m positive it’s the main. I’m considering putting the valve in the ground and rebuild it from there

Comment

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post
              Looks like an East TX. plumber did that hook up!

An East Texas electrician is about to fix it. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
                I’m assuming that’s a union ball valve, just judging from the way it looks. If I went back with a bronze valve (which I’m not against) how would I glue everything back up without a union. Maybe a slip coupling underground? I’ve used them a few times and always feel like it’s Russian roulette.

Or do you think I could leave a section out of the pipe for a valve and pull both ends away from house enough to glue the valve in place?

If so I will do that.

Move the ball valve up to where the line transitions to copper, There should be an elbow buried where the line comes above grade. Dig up the elbow and enough of the line to cut in the horizontal run upstream of the elbow. Then replace everything up to the new ball valve. There should be enough spring the below grade PVC to make up the vertical PVC run as the last glue joint. The other option is to leave the PVC as is and freeze protect it. I'm just not a fan of PVC ball valves. Never used one that did not give me trouble. PM me if you need more info. I just up the way in Montgomery.

Comment

I thought you weren't supposed to use Pex outside because of UV damage?

Comment

An East Texas electrician is about to fix it. Lol
                    10-4 on that!

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
                      Like the fiberglass pipe wrap?

That works or just get some armaflex foam pipe insulation and a small heat trace kit - something like this.

If you use fiberglass spring for some PVC jacketing to keep it from getting torn up. They make a product you seal the seam of the pvc jacket with to keep moisture out. Got to a plumbing supply house and they will fix you up - I prefer to fix stuff once and not jack with it every year. A bit overkill but I hate continuously working on stuff.

https://www.grainger.com/mobile/product/JOHNS-MANVILLE-JOHNS-MANVILLE-Insulated-Pipe-WP5750756/_/N-r6d?breadcrumbCatId=28517&fromPidp=true&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/6TEH8_AS01?$smthumb$webparentimage$

Comment

Comment

Ok, just grabbed all the stuff to put bronze ball valve at copper transition and switch over to PEX

Comment

You will want to make sure the PEX is not exposed to sunlight. The UV breaks it down. I have a spare tool for the SS crimp rings I could loan if that would help. If you are doing 1" PEX I don't recommend the SS crimp rings. The copper rings are the answer for 1" PEX. I put in a water filter with 1" PEX and the SS rings and chased leaks for a week before I made a tool to crimp the copper rings.

Comment

My 2 cents
                              Don't put metal or brass male fitting into a female PVC. It can expand and break or if you get it too tight it will break. Also it may be a while before it breaks. I flooded my whole house.

Comment

Originally posted by kmitchl View Post
                                You will want to make sure the PEX is not exposed to sunlight. The UV breaks it down. I have a spare tool for the SS crimp rings I could loan if that would help. If you are doing 1" PEX I don't recommend the SS crimp rings. The copper rings are the answer for 1" PEX. I put in a water filter with 1" PEX and the SS rings and chased leaks for a week before I made a tool to crimp the copper rings.

I’m gonna wrap it all in insulation

Comment

Working...
                                X