My Buck looks "tiny" ! :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
    Derek, I don't think he looks tiny!! I'd have to agree with you that your taxi. knocked it out of the park!! Very few mounts that I see look good to me because of just the way the taxi's position the ears cocked back to help the antlers look good... Never seen a deer stand still just looking around with their ears back, or turned down. Your mount looks about as natural as a mount can look. I'd use that taxidermist in a heartbeat!
    Now if you want him to look tiny, hang that sucker on the wall beside Ethan's!!
    Just a friendly conversation here but it’s crazy deer act different in other areas. From my experience its the opposite observation on normally deer ear positions.

I’m in the estimated 95% of all bucks I see have their ears laid back or back/relaxed. Very very seldom do I see ears forward on normal deer activity.

The majority of my tc pictures are bucks with ears back. I think it’s cool that deer are different all over the state/country.

Comment

Very nice buck...Mount looks awesome as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Bone Thug View Post
        Just a friendly conversation here but it’s crazy deer act different in other areas. From my experience its the opposite observation on normally deer ear positions.

I’m in the estimated 95% of all bucks I see have their ears laid back or back/relaxed. Very very seldom do I see ears forward on normal deer activity.

The majority of my tc pictures are bucks with ears back. I think it’s cool that deer are different all over the state/country.

When our deer are all swole up with the fighting pose, ears go back and down... When their heads are down feeding or trailling, ears are back... When they're in the pose of this mount, they may flick their ears, but they don't hold ears back/down when alert and standing in that pose...

Comment

My Buck looks "tiny" ! [emoji20]

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
          When our deer are all swole up with the fighting pose, ears go back and down... When their heads are down feeding or trailling, ears are back... When they're in the pose of this mount, they may flick their ears, but they don't hold ears back/down when alert and standing in that pose...

[emoji15]

[ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dpY5Rf_31AA"]July 23, 2021 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eaCaWlgrJ2o"]July 23, 2021 - YouTube[/ame]

I’m sure you know deer put ears back while posing or looking around but the comment of just to make the rack look bigger being the reason for posing ears back or down is somewhat telling on how you really feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
          Last edited by KingsX; 07-23-2021, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Very nice deer, looks great but I'm surprised he uses ear liners. I thought everyone used bondo now.

Comment

12ring, I can see that your deer has big ears and was probably a big body buck? If you feel he looks smaller now that you’ve seen him mounted I’d say it could be due to his big head neck and ears. If you were thinking ear position could’ve helped I’d say sure it could’ve helped with highlighting the rack more. Is this what you were thinking? Also you said he looks tiny not 160”…..who scored the buck if you don’t mind? Being a Kansas buck I know they’re big bodied so I’m trying to understand just like you why he doesn’t look 160” as well.
              Last edited by KingsX; 07-23-2021, 03:24 PM.

Comment

I don't think he looks as small now. And my statement was made before the cape was put on. I just thought the rack looked small on the form.
                I'm pleased with the way it turned out. Ears & all.
                Me & my taxi buddy scored it. Couple times. Came up w 162", roughly. Gross.

And yes, he had a huge body. For reference.... inside spread is 19 - 7/8".

Comment

Originally posted by 12ring View Post
                  I don't think he looks as small now. And my statement was made before the cape was put on. I just thought the rack looked small on the form.
                  I'm pleased with the way it turned out. Ears & all.
                  Me & my taxi buddy scored it. Couple times. Came up w 162", roughly. Gross.

And yes, he had a huge body. For reference.... inside spread is 19 - 7/8".
                  Great buck! and I know it was a long time coming for ya from the original kill thread. 👍🏻 Bowhunting isn’t easy and he’s a for sure trophy.

Comment

^^^^^

Thanks!
                    I've prob killed well over 50 deer w a bow. Most bucks in the 80-115" range. Never was a trophy hunter really but always wanted a PY.
                    Lucky this was the 1st one that walked out, lol.

Comment

Done!

Picking him up tomorrow!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210730-145552_Messages.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	24657602

Comment

Heck yeah!!!!

It’s a good day when the taxi calls with that kind of news! He’s going look awesome on the wall, when you get him home.

Congrats again.

Comment

It’s to much work for me to actually do it but imagine a picture of cousin Eddie saying “really nice Clark”

Comment

Nice.

Comment

Derek, that is just an awesome mount sir!! Congratulations on a fine Kansas buck and a fine job by your Taxidermist in capturing his "look"!!

Comment

Son, that aint tiny.
                                I think the mount looks fine, it looks like he was a fighter, lots scars on him, pretty cool in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                                X