Backcountry Cell Service / Satellite Communicators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
    I go to get away from it and y'all are taking it with ya.
    Without a doubt

Comment

I bought a Zoleo for my elk hunt in Colorado last year, and it worked great! You can either message through your native text app or through the Zoleo app.

Comment

I just bought a Garmin in reach. S and S Archery has them, use code ROKSLIDE at checkout for a discount. No tax and no shipping.

Comment

Garmin inReach paired with the Garmin Earthmate app, you sync your contacts and can text on your phone via Bluetooth with the inReach. The only time I have had connectivity issues with the Garmin was rafting the Grand Canyon - service would be spotty depending on location within the ditch and satellites.

You should have no issues with the inReach, regardless of the mini or Explorer+.

I also carry a satellite phone because I like voice at times need to make a business call, get a more accurate weather update from a friend, wife, etc.

Hope this helps, good luck on the hunt!

Comment

Colorado used to have what they called "The Buckskin Network". Several times a day they would broadcast on the radio, names of hunters that had an urgent message from home. You would go to a phone and call the network number and they would give you the message.

Comment

Originally posted by db@100 View Post
              Colorado used to have what they called "The Buckskin Network". Several times a day they would broadcast on the radio, names of hunters that had an urgent message from home. You would go to a phone and call the network number and they would give you the message.
              Wild, how long ago was this?

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
                I go to get away from it and y'all are taking it with ya.
                Never had to use it and have crawled off the mountain with injuries while having assistance in my pack. Same with bear spray, I have never had to use it but you can bet it is hanging from my belt if hunting in grizzly area.

Comment

Originally posted by graesz View Post
                  Wild, how long ago was this?
                  Late '70 thru the '80 I think. They would announce the persons name and where he was from. I hunted there from the late '70 through the '90 but I'm not sure when they stopped doing it.

Comment

Has any of you ever tried this?

Beartooth is a hardware device that allows for off grid communication. Talk, text and location share without cell service or Wi-Fi. Beartooth pairs with both iOS and Android smartphone via Bluetooth and allows you to connect with all Beartooth users in range.

Comment

Working...
                    X