Camper rehabquestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camper rehabquestion

I have a older 5th wheel that had been sitting at the ranch for 11 years, no one used in the last 4 years. I put new tires on it and brought it home. Camper is in pretty good shape considering how long it sat. Has anyone gutted one and rebuilt it? Any pics or links? I am looking for ideas. I pulled out the fridge, couch and soon to pull out the old carpet and see what we have. I want to make it nice and useable again

I can’t help with your questions but I’m in to see pics and progress of your build. I’d love to do this one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Some good info here. Look forward to your progress pics.

Comment

I personally haven't but friends have done what you are doing, for campers being put on permanent sites. They basically rebuilt the inside with much sturdier wood (2x4's, 3/4" plywood) better materials for the seating, and generally just built everything more robust. My buddy said the trailer was much heavier when done, but solid.

Good luck, looking forward to the build.

Comment

I rehabbed a 2007 model 5th wheel that had sat for over 7 years. I ripped out all of the carpeting and flooring, removed the jack knife couch and gutted the master bedroom because of a roof leak. I fixed the water damage from the roof leak and rebuilt all the cabinetry and bed frame in the master and then laid vinyl planking through out the entire camper. I replaced with the couch with an Ikea couch that was light weight. Replaced the AC. Repainted all of the cabinetry (which was the biggest PIA).

It was a free camper donated by a coworker and i lived in it for 2.5 years before selling it and upgrading. There's not much to them, just thinly framed walls mounted on a trailer.

Comment

I hate when people go back with 2X4s. It's heavy, they take up too much space, and are un-necessary. There are ways to make the construction stronger without going that route. The very simplest of which is to rip 2X4s, or 2X6s down on a table saw. 1X2 is too small imo. Anywhere you can put light wall steel, or aluminum and get the strength necessary, that's always a bonus. Most of the plywood in those things is so stinking thin, that 1X4" or 3/8" is a huge upgrade.

I would get a Kreg jig to help with making strong joints in smaller material. I would not attemp it without one.

Comment

We redid our motorhome just to give it a newer feel.
              1) your going to find problems you didn't know about
              2) painting the cabinets sux..... A lot of sanding
              3) painting the faux paneling is almost impossible, cover it
              4) flooring is the best part of the job. Go with vinyl plank.

I will never do another.

Comment

Originally posted by jb5001 View Post
                I can’t help with your questions but I’m in to see pics and progress of your build. I’d love to do this one day.
                Same here, good luck and please post pics of your progress.

Comment

I did some floor rehab earlier this year on our Class C motorhome. I had to replace about 20 sf of plywood (1/4"), about 12 sf of structural foam under the floor, added some more steel to the floor structure/cross-supports, and laid about 85 sf of vinyl plank flooring. It wasn't hard, but wasn't easy.

If you're gutting the inside, including any interior walls, then your process should be a A LOT easier. You'd basically have an open floor plan shell to start with. But like was mentioned above, having sat for that long unused, you will find things you didn't know about that will need replaced.

Good luck on the rebuild and there's tons of stuff on YouTube...

Comment

This weekend should give me a better idea of what I have to work with. The vent above the fridge leaked and there is some damage but appears to be isolated to that spot. There must be a leak at the back passenger corner as there is not support for the counter top in that area. I think I am going with the plan of patching what I need to make it all work. We will see what this weekend brings. Might have a new flatbed added to the fleet before its over with

Comment

Working...
                    X