No announcement yet.

Tractors... 4wd vs 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4x4. These new tractors aren't close to as heavy as the ole 2wd tractors were. Even still, 4x4 has so much more capability. About the time loaders on AG tractors became popular is when 4x4 started to become popular. Its a must for FEL work.
    Last edited by Arrowthreat; 05-24-2021, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Easttxbowman View Post

2wd will get stuck just pulling a heavy disk.
      It can if the driver is a moron. Raise the disc before you get stuck.

Comment

Originally posted by Fmjag64 View Post
        Man ive been on a tractor a lot in my day and unless working in big dirt ag fields planting/plowing etc, 4x4 hasnt played much of a part in day to day cattle pasture upkeep. For standard chores like mowing, tandem disc, hay and maintaining give me that 75hp 2x4 ALL DAY with a 10' brush hog over a 50hp 4x4 and a 5 or 6' brush hog. But that's just me and my needs based on TX cattle land.
        Same here. For simple work like your talking about I would go for the larger tractor that will allow twice the coverage. The problem with your scenario is that you probably will only use it when you go to the lease and that doesn't matter what the conditions are like. Most people don't let the land tell them when to perform work they tell the land when its going to get worked and that's why people get stuck in the mud.

Comment

4wd. You'll get into a situation where you'll need it. Trust me on this.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Brown View Post
            So I bought a 2wd Kubota 75hp with front end loader thinking why would you ever need 4wd..... It’s not about getting stuck it’s about the pulling power when plowing. I will never buy another 2wd it slips so much it simply will not plow when the ground is moist.
            This is the reason the 4WD is a must have.

Comment

From my experience, a 4WD in any size is necessary except in larger field operations. I grew up plowing with a "popping Johnny" Model A pulling a triple disc Deere plow. Hours and hours of pop,pop,pop. My field tractor now is a 140 HP Deere 2WD. The tractor I use everyday is a 75 HP cabbed 4WD with a front end loader with an air ride seat that I can use Bobcat attachments on. I have the front end loader plumbed with hydraulic valves so I can use a grappler bucket. It's used for everything daily. 4WD is a mandatory on a smaller tractor in my opinion. When crossing a ditch and the back wheels start spinning, pushing the 4WD button is like day and night in getting out of a bad situation. During the last ice storm, feeding round bales to the cattle with one on the back and one on the front was no problem even when the ground turned muddy. If I was in your position, describing what you want to do, the 50 HP cabbed tractor would be my choice hands down.

Comment

I think it all comes down to what the OP is trying to accomplish.

Lol for the budget proposed, Id get a little older 80's or 90's model 75-100 hp diesel tractor AND a smaller 50hp and probably still have some left over for implements.

Comment

i work for Noonday Tractor and Auction in Flint. I say 4wd because of the resale value. 2wd tractors are getting hard to sell. If you are looking for a used, i would love to help you.

thx

Comment

Originally posted by Fmjag64 View Post
                    I think it all comes down to what the OP is trying to accomplish.

Lol for the budget proposed, Id get a little older 80's or 90's model 75-100 hp diesel tractor AND a smaller 50hp and probably still have some left over for implements.
                    with all the emissions and DEF, the older ones are bringing more than they cost new

Comment

You will be more productive with 50hp 4c4 than 75hp 2x4 Unless you have implements that require 75hp

Comment

Tractors... 4wd vs 2

40-50HP 4wd with a loader is all you need.
                        Cab is just luxury...

I do prefer my 85HP 4wd for pulling an 8’ disc doing plots... but it can be done with a smaller disc and less HP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by toledo View Post
                          To me, a lot depends on your soil type.
                          I'm no tractor expert, but I agree with this. I bought a 4x4 but intended to disengage it for regular shredding. My soil is just too soft in most areas and I found myself having to keep it in 4wd pretty much all the time. I'm thankful I opted for 4wd.
                          My Flickr Photos

Comment

If it wasn’t for shredding and discing I wouldn’t own a tractor. Skid steers beat the crap out of 4wd tractors.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                              If it wasn’t for shredding and discing I wouldn’t own a tractor. Skid steers beat the crap out of 4wd tractors.
                              And they beat the crapp out your body too!

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                                I can’t figure out why a 2wd is even made anymore
                                Im with this guy. It should be against the law to even be able to put a loader on a 2wd tractor nowdays. LOL.

You will be much happier with a 50hp 4wd with cab.

Extra cab weight will help.

Also fill the back tires with fluid and you will be amazed at the difference

Comment

Working...
                                X