No announcement yet.

Tractors... 4wd vs 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2wd will tear up your land a lot faster than 4wd. Get the 4wd.

Comment

I can’t figure out why a 2wd is even made anymore

Comment

Just in case you need one more vote.
        My first was 2wd
        My second is 4wd and would not ever go back. I also would not be without the loader and I like that my Kioti is heavier than some other brands.

I don’t have a cab, I have so many trees, plus I often have a helper talking to me to position the auger or something, that no cab works better for me on my small place.

Comment

Get rid of the cab and get 4x4!

Comment

Man ive been on a tractor a lot in my day and unless working in big dirt ag fields planting/plowing etc, 4x4 hasnt played much of a part in day to day cattle pasture upkeep. For standard chores like mowing, tandem disc, hay and maintaining give me that 75hp 2x4 ALL DAY with a 10' brush hog over a 50hp 4x4 and a 5 or 6' brush hog. But that's just me and my needs based on TX cattle land.

Comment

The 4wd is the best choice of those two. I have a couple 2wd tractors that do everything I need them to do. Unless you’re running through lots of mud you won’t really need 4wd, but it’s there if you need it. Plus having a cab is just nice. The cab is a bonus that would end the discussion for me. A 50hp will do the things you’re describing with no problem
              Last edited by AntlerCollector; 05-24-2021, 07:42 AM.

Comment

4wd all day long!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Either one will do just fine. I’d be more concerned whether it required def. I’d get one without. Weight is a big factor. Older heavier 2wd do great work. Newer tractors need 4wd because they are built lighter. After all how did things get done before 4wds came into the picture?

Comment

4wd no doubt.

2wd will get stuck just pulling a heavy disk. They are great for just shredding a dry field but anything else they can be burdensome.

Comment

4wd and a cab!!!

Comment

4wd unless you have a backhoe attachment on that you can dig yourself out of that creek when you get stuck.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                          After all how did things get done before 4wds came into the picture?
                          They were done with 2wd tractors. Before 2wd tractors came into the picture they were done with mules and horses. Your point being?

Comment

If you’re buying new, then definitely get a 4wd, but if you’re looking for a deal, a 2wd is definitely workable.

I’m using a 2 wd Kubota 7040 to maintain my 380 acres in OK. There are times a 4wd would be nice, but for what I paid for the tractor, I’m satisfied with what I got. Actually, it’s my favorite tractor I’ve ever owned, and I’ve had quite a few 2wd and 4wd.

Here’s mine...
                            Last edited by retrieverman; 05-24-2021, 08:19 AM.

Comment

I agree on the 4x4 but millions of acres of corn and soy beans get planted every year here in Iowa with 2 wheel drive tractors. Yes....the big operators are running the newest latest greatest equipment, but the smaller operations are running older model JD, Case IH, White, Allis Chalmers etc. 2WD tractors. The Amish do everything with teams of draft horses....which is something to see.

I was in a new combine last fall that was operated by GPS. The operator starts the combine and puts it in auto pilot. The electronics do the rest. When the combine was full it calls a remote unmanned grain cart that pulls up along side the combine to offload the corn. There are definitely high tech and low tech farming operations

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by Arrowsmith; 05-24-2021, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                                They were done with 2wd tractors. Before 2wd tractors came into the picture they were done with mules and horses. Your point being?
                                Obviously a skilled operator can do all he needs with a 2wd with sufficient horsepower.

Comment

Working...
                                X