No announcement yet.

Which Brand of Air Conditioner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone like to take a guess on who owns, designs, and builds Goodman?

D.....

Comment

Originally posted by apc10 View Post
      The 3 bigger install companies in my area install Carrier, Trane, and Comfortmaker. I have never heard of the last. I will get pricing from all 3, but just curious on how they would compare to each other.
      5 manufacturers build the top 24 lines available here in the USA.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
        We have a Rheem system. 1999 model. replaced one capacitor a couple years ago and that was it. I figure I will have to replace my system in the next few years. It has been a good unit.
        We also had 2 RHEEM units on our house starting in '02. Only because we understand what it takes to keep them running, we were able to run them for 15 years (the last 2 were on barrowed time). Replaced a compressor, a fan motor, and a valve over the life.

When they were changed out, the coils would fall off on a single touch.

Comment

Is there a better time of year to purchase?....assuming you are not in a pinch

Comment

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post

D.....
            Interested.

Comment

Goodman is nothing special. They work, but definitely more of a builder grade procuct. Carrier, Trane and Mitsubishi get my top votes. And a product is only as good as its installer in most cases. Been in the HVAC industry a long time.

Comment

Just got a 4 ton heil coastal unit. Blower and compressor. So far, so good

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Comment

D.....
                  Daikin

Comment

If you talk to 10 ac guys you will get 10 different answer. They all sell the"best" and every other brand is
                    "junk". Truth is there are only 3-4 companies that make compressors so get you one that has a good service record and youth will be OK. I have a comfort maker in 2 houses and a goodman in my other 1.

Comment

Daikin
                      Goodman is a subsidiary of Daikin, so Goodman still designs and builds Goodman units.

Comment

but that's neither here nor there, i'd go with Trane.

Comment

Not Carrier

Replaced our outdoor compressor and interior air handler and gas furnace with a Carrier unit several years ago (5 ton unit). Malek could never get it to function as advertised and neither to the calls to the Houston Carrier service center. It has NEVER been variable speed and NEVER did dehumidify as advertised, and we only paid an additional $1,400 for that feature.

I would never buy another Carrier, and NEVER use Malek AC or allow them on my property. YMMV.

Comment

Interesting information:

First things first, however. While there are many brands of central air conditioners, digging deeper reveals that the majority of central air conditioners are made by a handful of companies, marketing merely makes it looks as if you have a wider range of choices. The major manufacturers are:
                            Trane, which also makes American Standard
                            United Technology, which owns Carrier, Bryant, Payne, Day & Night, Heil and Tempstar
                            Lennox, which owns Ducane, Armstrong, Concord, Allied and AirEase
                            Rheem, which owns Ruud
                            Goodman, which makes Amana and Janitrol
                            York, which makes Coleman and Luxaire
                            Nortek Global HVAC, which makes Maytag, Westinghouse, Frigidaire, Kelvinator and others

Group 1 – Our Top Picks for the Top 10 Air Conditioner Brands of 2018:
                            Goodman
                            Day & Night
                            Mitsubishi
                            Bryant
                            Carrier
                            York
                            Amana
                            Trane
                            Rheem
                            Lennox

Comment

Daikin are extremely high quality units. They are used and have been very popular units in the rest of the world for a long time now.

Comment

Any brand is only as good as its installer.

All the actual ac guys that commented above recommended whichever brand they sell, which is understandable. The rest probably recommended what they have in their own homes.

Daikin owns Goodman manufacturing, which is Houston-based, and they just built the largest hvac mfr plant in the world there. Being American made gives them points (daikin, Amana, and Goodman units are built there) and also means they have a strong distribution in Texas.
                                Carrier makes a decent product, in Mexico.
                                Same with ruud/rheem.

In my opinion, trane is riding their brand recognition and is putting out some of the worst units on the market. Lots of mfr defects, lots of plastic components.

Pick a company you think you can trust and has great warranties and guarantees. That’s way more important than the brand of the equipment.

Comment

Working...
                                X