TPWD changes passed for MLD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by farlow View Post
    The Wildlife Valuation (exemption) is employed by a county's Appraisal District but is initially based upon a property having a TPWD biologist-written Wildlife Management Plan. However, if an owner feels comfortable just using a Timber Management Plan or an Agriculture Valuation, as you are apparently doing, it is their prerogative. I was simply explaining why we are on it and it doesn't affect the TPWD plan about to be enforced. You are correct as they are 2 different animals.

At least your biologist has explained things to you. Mine didn't even give me a heads up about the public input until I asked him about it a couple of weeks ago.
    Well dont feel too bad, we only got word through our monthly newsletter in an email, and then again notified of it passing in the next letter. But, maybe he saw the writing on the wall and knew the state didnt really care about anyone's input. Guess on the bright side I didnt waste my time voicing it to them.

I guess once it passed, our biologist figured he'd better get ahead of us and explain to us what we're dealing with before we bombarded his phone with questions

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

We are like a lot of others on here. We have been in the MLD program for over 15 years. In those 15 years I have seen 2 different biologist work in our area. The original biologist helped set our survey routes up and discussed a management plan. After that it was a phone call or email, which is fine, I know they are busy and have plenty to do. We don't lease our property so it gives us the ability to manage our deer herd. Our ranch consists of 3 separate properties, so my interpretation is we will be paying $900 to be in the program.... There are 2 parcels of land that separate our property, one is separated by 1/4 mile and the other by 1/2 mile. The total property is 3600 acres... $300 would be ok.... $900 is a little excessive.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
        This was such a sham. We are implementing a fee. Period.

But to make it PC, let's ask for feedback and then wholeheartedly ignore it and say that we received overwhelming support for the measure.
        Yep - Saw this coming a mile away. It was like a slap in the face to even bother asking.

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
        -Fulldraw 529

Before we had the choice between Harvest or Conservation option we did all the work. We did the spotlight counts, the visible area survey and the photo census. I haven't read the latest iteration of what passed but I would be highly surprised if the TPWD biologists do any additional work.

When we started our program, I spoke to the biologist over the phone for 2-3 years before I ever met him. I did send him jawbone's for the first 3 years and then they cut that out. I. Not saying it was a bad program because it wasn't. It was just very obviously designed to be autonomous and needed minimal oversight.

Let's be honest with ourselves...with 3 spotlight counts and a visible distance survey, I can determine sex ratio, recruitment, deer density and extrapolate that information for the entire property and decide what a sustainable buck or doe harvest would be. This information could be written into a very simple computer program that would more accurately represent a specific property instead of using the county wide population data that they are currently using for the harvest option.

Maybe someone else's biologist was doing more work than mine. Maybe they just had faith in the work we were doing and never thought it was important to audit our work....who knows.

This was nothing but a cash grab by TPWD. They realize that we are willing to spend lots of money to grow big deer. They just want more of their piece of that pie. Let's just sit back and see how many years this goes before the first increase in these fees.

I am betting the rates will be increase by double or triple in the first five years. You guys that think we are just whining are welcome to tell me if I am wrong.
        Haters are going to hate. Those not in MLD are jealous and it's sad they are happy fees are dinging MLD guys.

Just wait until fees hit them...Then they complain and expect us to give a crap.

Comment

Maybe the land owners will deduct the fee from your lease prices

I had to pay school taxes 15 years before I had kids too!

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
            It’s voluntary, not a mandate or law. People can chose to participate or not.
            So is hunting and fishing..and everything else. I hope hunting license go up to $300

Originally posted by M16 View Post
            How about paying landowners rent for providing the habitat for the state’s wildlife?
            People just don't get it. The original "deal" was TPWD told landowners how to manage their ranch. The landowner footed the bill improving habitat per what the biologist said. TPWD wants more land to hold game..and healthy game.

Now they want the landowners to do the work AND pay TPWD at the same time.

We shall see how it turns out. If most people stay in the program they will charge more than $300 very soon. If lots drop out they will stick with the $300 IMO No tax every goes away

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
              Maybe the land owners will deduct the fee from your lease prices

I had to pay school taxes 15 years before I had kids too!
              Lease prices will go up $300 first

Then we can see the real Bi#$%ing LOL

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                Lease prices will go up $300 first

Then we can see the real Bi#$%ing LOL
                LO needs to be sure to Itemize that charge on the lease contract. LOL. Then we can get "Crappy Landowner passes cost to us".

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                  So is hunting and fishing..and everything else. I hope hunting license go up to $300

People just don't get it. The original "deal" was TPWD told landowners how to manage their ranch. The landowner footed the bill improving habitat per what the biologist said. TPWD wants more land to hold game..and healthy game.

Now they want the landowners to do the work AND pay TPWD at the same time.

We shall see how it turns out. If most people stay in the program they will charge more than $300 very soon. If lots drop out they will stick with the $300 IMO No tax every goes away
                  They'll find that point of diminishing return and throttle it back ever so slightly.

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
                    LO needs to be sure to Itemize that charge on the lease contract. LOL. Then we can get "Crappy Landowner passes cost to us".
                    I'm sure that LO can deduct that expense on his taxes when he claims the lease money profit when he files it

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
                      I don’t have any issue with the program as it was intended when we all signed up 20 years ago. Instead of a management tool it’s now a courtesy. Too many are on the program that shouldn’t/don’t qualify as originally intended. There should have been an admin fee from the start for all of us on it. The software admin costs and state employee time should be covered by those actually using the program. That’s not a “hard” concept to grasp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      How much did it cost before this change?

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
                        Awesome. So what extra work is our state biologist gonna do for us with this extra $$? Conduct the helicopter survey? Wait, we do that. Maybe take care of the several habitat management practices that need to be done each year? Wait, we do that. Oh, I guess he will come up with our Wildlife Management Plan? Nope, we did that too. Silly me, he will surely print out our tags and mail them to me? Silly me again, I have to print my own tags. Remind me again what this $300 is for?
                        How much have you been paying the state per year?

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                          How much have you been paying the state per year?
                          Type a little louder D....no ones listening!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                              I'm sure that LO can deduct that expense on his taxes when he claims the lease money profit when he files it
                              Well, I'm not an accountant, so there's that.

I was speaking from a purely comedic scenario..

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
                                Well, I'm not an accountant, so there's that.

I was speaking from a purely comedic scenario..
                                Me too!

Comment

Working...
                                X