No announcement yet.

Bad hornady ammo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been having some inconsistencies with factory loaded ssts for 6.8. Not sure what is going on but I've shot many hogs before in the head / neck and usually DRT... now I hit them in the same spot and they take off running. I've checked my gun many times at the range as well.

Guess it's time to start reloading.

Comment

I always been a hornady fan. I bought some Superformance for my 300 Win Mag and could not believe how bad they grouped. No issues with misfires though.

Comment

I know this is a hornady thread, but it happened to me with federal sierra game kings with my 25.06. The dreaded click, pause, then all of a sudden, boom. gun goes off. luckily i was still on a buck when it happened and i still got him. the next week it happened again and it caused me to miss a hog. i contacted federal and they blamed my gun. over and over and over again. could not get them to admit that maybe 2 out the 20 was defective. they absolutely would not admit fault. anhyone else had this happen with federal bullets or customer service? sorry to hijack the thread.

Comment

I had an issue last fall with a box of 25-06 SST's. They all fired, but the group was all over the place, which has never happened since I switched to the SST a few years ago. I finished that box, opened a new one and my groups were back to the normal tight group that I typically get.

Comment

Is your 308 an AR as well? I thought the Superformance stuff was strictly for bolt guns only.

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
              I know the bullet has nothing to do with it. My point was that they are inaccurate rounds fired through most rifles. I have talked to two different gun smiths that have said the powder they use to get the velocity burns inconsistently, and they have rarely seen them perform in many rifles.
              Well sorry to hear about your bad experience with them. Personally I will keep shooting them with great performance from them in all of my rifles. Not only can I shoot a clover leaf at the range but have absolutely devestating performance on animals.

Comment

I have read a lot about the inconsistency of the Superformance powder, but that is from guys reloading it. I cannot say for sure but I have heard it is a blended powder and if that is true, I am not sure how you can get consistency shot to shot with a blend.
                I don't have the answers but if it shoots for you, keep using it and if not, go with something else.

Comment

Originally posted by TxHunter06 View Post
                  X3
                  X4

Comment

I had great luck with the Hornady Light Magnums when they were made. With Superformance, only in .223 75 gr. BTHPs. Nothing else, and I have tried them in several guns. I have zero issues with the SST bullets however.

Comment

Had the same problem with a box of 6.5 creedmoor ammo, the primer pockets were a little deep. Called them and they emailed me shipping label and i sent them in one box that was about half fired. Once they got them they "tested them" they never actually said the pockets were too deep, but they sent me 2 new boxes from a different lot #, and these have been fine.

Anyone who knows anything about mass manufacturing knows every now and then some bad stuff gets out, but they made it right without any hassle so i was pleased.

Comment

When I was in the reloading business I avoided Hornady brass due to the extreme variation in length, etc. Never had a problem with W-W, Rem, Federal, or any other brass except Hornady.

Comment

Been shooting SST in several calibers for years. No problems.

Comment

I switched to Hornady several years ago after my brother had a FTF from greenbox Remingtons.
                            I've never had a problem with any Hornady ammo, but every gun will like a particular brand/type of ammo.
                            My Rem700 30-06 will shoot just about anything with the same accuracy.
                            My TC Encore 25-06 will make 3 touching holes shooting 4 Hornady Customs. Using the Superperformance opens up the group a little bit, still a tight group, but not touching.
                            Your gun will probably like something different.
                            The next guy's gun will probably like something different than both of us.
                            There will be other guns that will be the same as on of us.
                            It's just a matter of finding what your gun likes to shoot.

Comment

Chew apr info

Bump for CHEW. . .

Comment

Thank you. Maybe I should have researched ammo failures before venting about the rifle

Comment

Working...
                                X