X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is pretty dang cool

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
      I'm hoping she'll have a buck fawn that's black.
      X2

What a beauty, that would be cool to have her color passed on.

Comment

Very cool!

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Bad Bass View Post
          Melanistic Deer. More info:
          However, a 1999 study by Dr. John T. Baccus and John C. Posey at Texas Tech University reported an incidence rate of 8.5 percent in an area covering eight central Texas counties: Blanco, Burnet, Caldwell, Comal, Guadalupe, Hays, Travis, and Williamson. This is the highest known localized incidence rate of melanism anywhere in the whitetail’s range. This 8-county region straddles the eastern edge of the Edwards Plateau Ecological Region (pictured below) and adjacent areas of the Blackland Prairie Ecological Region, known as Balcones Escarpment. This area holds the only known population of whitetails in North America experiencing melanism at a significantly elevated rate.
          That's pretty much what I have found on the area they are often found.

Comment

We had 9 pt Piebald Buck on a lease w of Nocona✌️I’ll see if I can find a pic.

Comment

That is cool! Ive seen a couple of piebald deer but never a melanistic one. I hope she hangs around several years for you.

Comment

I had a doe, yearling and a spike on my hays county lease.

There is a large concentration of them in those counties for sure.

There is a pic floating Around of a large 8 pointer a Tbh’er killed.

Comment

Is there such a thing as a melanistic piebald? That would be a really interesting looking animal.

Comment

Originally posted by kerens View Post
                    I have seen several in Navarro county as well. I also noticed that the fawns of the black doe that did not get the melanistic gene sported what seemed to a much darker fur than normal deer.
                    I hunt there and never seen one yet, I think there is a military base somewhere where there is a very high prevalence of them, can't remember the name though

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                      I hunt there and never seen one yet, I think there is a military base somewhere where there is a very high prevalence of them, can't remember the name though
                      It’s something to see for sure. Just like pervious people said they would have to have a pretty impressive head gear to shoot one. I’ve watch a doe one of my my camera for 5+ years. Bowman give me a holler 4097820640

Comment

Had an 8pt walk in on me once. Decent rack but wasn’t impressive. Have to say if it wasn’t the extended doe season, I may have shot and mounted it. Did see several melanistic does on that place too. Was right outside of Austin but I haven’t been able to hunt that place in 8 years.

Comment

Awesome looking deer… would love to see one in person. Anyone have pics of one as a fawn?? Or do they look like a typical fawn and at some point the darker pigment takes over??

Comment

That is cool.

Comment

There used to be a nice 10pt with a big group in Fentress while I was staying at the local RV joint. I was heading out to I-10 one early morning and a kid in a mustang in front of me hit him head on doing 60mph. Pulled over to help the kiddo out and got lots of pics of the buck. Ill try and post them

Comment

she's Purdy

Comment

Working...
                                X