No announcement yet.

Clean out sink drain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probably female hair. I agree with the boiling water remedy. In the past, I have dumped a bottle of Draino and then hit with boiling water. It’s always worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I use one of the plastic hair drain snakes on my wife's sink whenever it starts to drain slowly and it keeps the hair from becoming a problem. A lot easier than removing the pop-up or p-trap.

Comment

Check the sink over flow drain.

Comment

Baking soda and vinegar. Then pour a boiling pot of water. Always works for me. I do have to pull hair out of my wife’s sink though. Don’t think there’s anyway to flush that through

Comment

I would try a shop vac first if you have one. If the clog is close enough to the drain/access point you use for the shop vac it will take it out and not force it down the line further. If that doesnt work try compress air, a good 10-20 bursts of about 3 seconds each should help unless its too far. If that doesnt help its time to call a plumber that has a long enough snake.

Comment

I have had the same issue a couple of times. The A/C drain line attaches to the side of the P-trap. Mine is a rubber hose line that has a hose clamp that secures the rubber hose to the side of the P-trap. I have to loosen the hose clamp and remove the rubber hose. Once this is done then remove the P-trap and then clog will be clearly obvious at the area where the A/C drain line feeds into the P-trap and will be clogged with algae. Clean the algae out to clear the clog and reinstall everything in reverse order and you will be good to go. If you want to try something to prevent disassembly of the P-trap, pour about a half a gallon of bleach in the PVC line in your attic near A/C that feeds from the overflow pan to the sink drain. This may clear the algae but if it is clogged too bad you will have to do the disassembly as described above. Very simple to diassemble and reassemble and ensures all the algae is cleared out and will not damage any components of the system.

Comment

Thanks for asking the question OP, and thanks to all for the good ideas and suggestions. I’m thinking some AC algae living in my p trap is about to meet some boiling water.

Comment

Working...
                X