Texas Geographical Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas Geographical Question

First of all, pull up a map and get a visual for what I'm asking.

Where does the Panhandle start and end on the south side?

Is it a straight line across where the eastern border turns east following the Red River or a straight line across where the western border turns west towards New Mexico? This is a big difference in area. If its the eastern side that dictates it, then Lubbock and Plainview are not in the panhandle. If it's the western side that dictates it then Midland and Big Springare in the panhandle.

Is is somewhere in between?

I've certainly never thought of Midland being in the Panhandle and doubt if anyone else does either, but if Lubbock is in then where is the line of delineation? When I think of the Panhandle I think of Amarillo, Canyon, Hereford, Pampa, Dumas, etc. I've never considered Lubbock to be the panhandle, but I recently saw a members post that considered it to be. It got me to thinking....where is the line?

Thoughts?

Not sure, but I would bet most in Lubbock think we are in the Panhandle. Some think we are in West Texas also.

Comment

My idea is draw a straight line from the corner of the eastern turn to the corner of the western turn.

I live in south Texas so anything north of Lubbock is panhandle.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
        Not sure, but I would bet most in Lubbock think we are in the Panhandle. Some think we are in West Texas also.
        HAHAHAHAHA. Your post in another thread is the one that got me thinking. I've always considered Lubbock West Texas just never really thought of it as the panhandle.

Comment

Found this:

Probably could have just searched it without a TBH thread.

Comment

I don't think that map above represents what most Texans consider the Panhandle. Hell, according to that map Weatherford, Mineral Wells, etc would be panhandle...even Abilene. Nope.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
              Found this:

Probably could have just searched it without a TBH thread.
              People do that?

Comment

Technically I think the a panhandle is just the “straight edges” therefore where the red river becomes the border and the state line jogs east would be the end of the panhandle. But like Doug said I think most up here consider Lubbock part of the panhandle. Our fair is called the Panhandle South Plains fair.

I just call it “The highground of Texas!”

Comment

Panhandle or high plains -Draw a line from muleshoe to Childress. South of that line is West Texas

Comment

PANHANDLE. The 25,610-square-mile Panhandle of Texas was shaped by the Compromise of 1850, which resolved the state's controverted territorial claims. It is bounded on the east by the 100th meridian, on the north by parallel 36°30', and on the west by the 103rd meridian. It comprises the northernmost twenty-six counties of the state; the line forming the southern boundary of Swisher County in the central Panhandle marks the southern boundary.

The Handbook of Texas is your number one authoritative source for Texas history. Read this entry and thousands more like it on our site.

Comment

Right out of the TBH tracking dog thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Grew up in Lubbock - Lubbock and all areas north of the county are considered the panhandle. All these people coming in from out of the state are getting things confused.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

So according to those maps there is no “West. Texas”....

Comment

???

[ATTACH]928347[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiechick View Post
                              Grew up in Lubbock - Lubbock and all areas north of the county are considered the panhandle. All these people coming in from out of the state are getting things confused.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                              Drew up north of Dumas. We consider Lubbock as west Texas

Comment

Working...
                              X