The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by txpanhandle32 View Post
    My first elk hunt was a dream come true. Public ground in N central NM. Got there a day before opening morning on the 15th an they were starting to talk, numerous encounters that were just inches away. The first 3 days of season were an all day nonstop bugle fest it was AWESOME!, the 3rd evening I killed my first bull on a wallow. Im hooked to say the least. 67 yard shot, he fell within 20 yards. An got it all on video!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That is freaking awesome. Congrats

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Sweet bull, congrats!

Comment

My son and I got into an area in the Gravellys range in southern Montana loaded with elk. He got a 5 point yesterday, we’re bring first trip of elk meat to his house and then going back today for 4 or 5 more days for me.

The HECS suits are remarkable. With camo and good wind I had over a dozen cows grazing 8 yards from me, looking at me with curious looks sitting on ground behind a tree.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill in San Jose View Post
          My son and I got into an area in the Gravellys range in southern Montana loaded with elk. He got a 5 point yesterday, we’re bring first trip of elk meat to his house and then going back today for 4 or 5 more days for me.

The HECS suits are remarkable. With camo and good wind I had over a dozen cows grazing 8 yards from me, looking at me with curious looks sitting on ground behind a tree.

Nice. That is beautiful country.

Comment

Way to go bubba, good bull.

Comment

I hunted the 19th-24th in unit 46 in New Mexico. The first day and a half, we saw elk and heard bugles, then they all just shut-up and vanished.
              Empty freezer this year. The long 51 week wait starts now.

Comment

Originally posted by coonazz View Post
                I hunted the 19th-24th in unit 46 in New Mexico. The first day and a half, we saw elk and heard bugles, then they all just shut-up and vanished.
                Empty freezer this year. The long 51 week wait starts now.
                Same here, I hunted unit 15.

Comment

Originally posted by Pernell View Post
                  Same here, I hunted unit 15.
                  Ah man. I was kind of thinking it was just where I was.
                  Too bad it was the same thing in the Gila. I've been trying to get back to 15 since I drew a tag there 8 years ago.

The love/hate battle of archery elk hunting is alive and well in my head.
                  It's hard to explain, but I want to sell all my gear and never do it again, but at the same time, I can't wait until next September.

Comment

I would imagine these will go fast. I already have a cow tag but I would jump on these if I did not and they were just a little cheaper.

Comment

I ended with my last hunt today- solo and passing griz warning signs.

I humped up the mountain, and when I hunted through the pines to the bottom, went back up to a wallow I saw on the opposite side of the canyon.

At 5:30pm I said ok- I’m done, time to go back down the mountain to my truck.

What do I see? A dozen plus cows and a bull 100 yards from my parked truck!

To add insult to injury, as I’m coming down as fast as I can, they continue down- passing less than 50 yards from the truck.

I’m already excited about the 2019 elk season- God willing, I’ll be a MT resident.

Comment

[quote=Split Arrow;4556054]
                        Originally posted by Whirlwind View Post

I saw the deals on Camofire for Core4element and took advantage of them. I was pretty impressed with their gear and will be looking to buy more.
                        Core4 is no more, but Black orvis/camo Fire started up a line to mimic it, only bad think is merino is a 50/50 nylon blend and can get chappy quicker

Comment

Our archery season was frustrating. Warm and dry with little bugling. we do get to rifle hunt though until Nov 14 if we can get into the area.

Elk camp was on our 1 acre lot within the National Forest, small one section block of private land divided into 1 acre lots. We drove right in.

Spouse found a great bull someone had arrowed and not recovered. GW met us and wrote up an interstate game tag and we were able to bring the head out. It was a bull we were working one morning when other hunters busted the set. He was found and then we went back one week later to retrieve the head.

We'll be back up next few weekends, til we have some mule deer hunters coming up Oct 24 for a private land hunt. It is a wintering area so with snow elk move down into it. Nov will be interesting if we can get in.

Nice harvests guys!! We may to try and fill some additional cow tags till the bulls move down.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                            Our archery season was frustrating. Warm and dry with little bugling. we do get to rifle hunt though until Nov 14 if we can get into the area.

Elk camp was on our 1 acre lot within the National Forest, small one section block of private land divided into 1 acre lots. We drove right in.

Spouse found a great bull someone had arrowed and not recovered. GW met us and wrote up an interstate game tag and we were able to bring the head out. It was a bull we were working one morning when other hunters busted the set. He was found and then we went back one week later to retrieve the head.

We'll be back up next few weekends, til we have some mule deer hunters coming up Oct 24 for a private land hunt. It is a wintering area so with snow elk move down into it. Nov will be interesting if we can get in.

Nice harvests guys!! We may to try and fill some additional cow tags till the bulls move down.
                            That's a toad! So, if I understood it correctly, you were on that particular elk?

Comment

Finally put up all my gear. Just couldn’t force myself to do it until this past weekend. Now the process of planning next years’ pursuit. Will be a new horizon as my hunting partner has hung up his bugle with family obligations, so will be hoping to hook up with someone else as dedicated (read addicted) to chasing elk with bow in Southern Colorado! Booked PTO already for September 19th through the 29th!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                                That's a toad! So, if I understood it correctly, you were on that particular elk?
                                The spouse is pretty certain it was the bull they were waiting out a shot on when some other guys heard the bugling and moved in cow calling. Can't be 100% certain but whale's tail and point tips match what was seen.
                                It was found dead within 1/2 mile of the encounter and along the route they were traveling almost every morning and evening.
                                Posted a pic of this bull I took Saturday morning lower down in the same area in my Wyoming elk thread. Not near the same caliber of bull but I'm happy with him.

Some great later season bulls should be posting up soon I'm betting. Good luck all .
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X