How would you confront a trespasser?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rick View Post
    and your buddy would probably be in prison......
    Serious question, why?

The guy that ran up with the .44 mag jumped the fence (trespassing) with a weapon (felony), I am seriously wondering why you say that.

Great neighbor to have, but at the same time, he was still technically trespassing himself on someone else’s property with a weapon, while the other guy was taking his kids to see their grandmother.

Comment

In Parker county a few years back...

I had two of my cameras - one on my feeder, and another on an approaching trail - disappear during bow season.

The next week my bow stand disappeared....w.t.f.

Then first week of November, I find white hair under my feeder... blood... and drag marks heading onto the neighbors place... I know the neighbors and they don't hunt - so I was sure I was dealing with a pretty serious, and persistent, poacher. Probably teenagers with the stupidity of calling so much attention by stealing a bow stand.

2nd weekend of November, I was in my rifle blind, with the windows closed for scent control. I'm sure every other hunter in the county was in the woods on that day, as it was a Saturday afternoon, with a great N wind front blowing in. (refer back to these poachers were not smart)

I glass over the neighbors place and see movement about 100 yards away - two teenage kids in full camo w/ rifles.

They probably couldn't see inside my tinted windows, or they didn't look very hard, but the kids hid under a tree on the fenceline where they could see my feeder, and a big clearing on the neighbors ranch.

Not wanting an armed confrontation, I opened the window, snapped a couple quick pics with my long lense camera, and shouted over to them -"whats up guys???". I've never seen two kids run so fast in my life. I think one fell over a mesquite log in his escape and got a face full of dirt.

Next day, I pulled the tax cards/addresses for all the neighboring properties, and sent letters saying I had pictures of two teenage kids trespassing, and would only not turn them over to the Sherriff if my stolen items were returned. Sure enough - 2 days later the mother of the 2 teenage boys calls me crying, and says the boys were really sorry. She said the boys only shot a hog,(not true but whatever...) and my things would be brought to my gate the next morning.

Glad I handled it that way, as it looked like those kids were growing up with some strikes against them, - but I certainly wouldn't want to get in a throwdown over a trespassing issue.

Comment

Invite them over for dinner. Get to know them. Maybe they have some cool stories to share.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
          and your buddy would probably be in prison......
          I will make sure to inform my LEO buddy that if he would have shot a dude that jumped his fence and held him up with a 44mag on his own property ....that he can go to prison for that. Thanks for the helpful insight.

Comment

I think you need to video the situation if possible...cya.

Comment

game warden told me years ago to make them leave their wallet or ID behind then call them - they will go find them

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
                game warden told me years ago to make them leave their wallet or ID behind then call them - they will go find them
                That sounds like a good idea.

Comment

How fo you force someone to hand over personal property( license)? Gun point?

Comment

Kick'em in the marbles

Comment

Like many have said:
                      It depends.

If it was our place in Catarina....Every hair on my neck would be standing and we’d be on high alert.
                      It’s common to be sitting in a ground blind and hear ppl talking as they travel through. Whether they’re packing drugs was the thing that made me edgy.
                      Had em walk into camp all the time. But...out there we always carried and had an AR at arms reach. And border patrol dispatch in speed dial. They knew our place well.
                      Got so bad we don’t go back and now I hunt out in Menard.

Now out there....Id till be edgy bc we are miles from the nearest paved road so nobody SHOULD be out there but us but not as bad as STX

Landowner and cousin to the north and says before every major holiday he loses a few goats to poachers.

We have always spoken softly and made sure we had bigger sticks in case the individuals were less inclined to be social. Never had to use it, thank God.

Comment

If I were on my lease very little over observation and report.
                        Our ranch there will be a conversation but as others have said I'd start friendly and hope it would be resolved that way. When we bought our place it had been unvisited by the owners for years and a couple of local folks took to hunting and trapping hogs on it. A simple conversation and the next time we were down they had removed all of their gear and haven't been back.
                        It's still your land and if you don't protect it, no one will.

Gary

Comment

That's funny right there. First off being polite and not approaching aggressively probably will get you a lot better outcome. Second if the person is doing something they aren't supposed to what makes you think hes going to give you anything. Also remember so many tough guy's get their weapons taken away from them and used against them.

Comment

Working...
                          X