How would you confront a trespasser?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How would you confront a trespasser?

Politely ask them to get off your land or call the law and make them wait ?

Depends on. What she looks like

Comment

Gunpoint and wait for the law.

Comment

Molatov cocktail

Comment

depends heavily on the circumstances.

Comment

Totally would depends on the specific situation. If they had a gun and were hunting my land, they would be going to jail.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
              depends heavily on the circumstances.
              Agree

Comment

Depends. Do you have fences, gates, properly posted No Hunting or No Tresspassing signs. Could they be there on accident?? I'd start with a friendly but stern conversation and warning. See how they react. They leave - good. They get snotty about it - GW and/or Sherriff

Comment

Interesting question. If they are armed and you are armed, it could escalate quickly.

A few years ago, my 16 year old nephew thought he saw someone sneaking through the woods when he was hunting the back side of our place. The following morning on his way to the blind, he drove over a hill and there were two guys in camo with rifles walking, on our property, toward one of our blinds. My nephew turned the truck around and came back to get us.

I'm glad he turned around and didn't confront them.

We never saw the guys again. We called the game warden and he came out to look around. He was going to do some follow up investigating, but I don't know what ever came of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Blank View Post
                    Depends. Do you have fences, gates, properly posted No Hunting or No Tresspassing signs. Could they be there on accident?? I'd start with a friendly but stern conversation and warning. See how they react. They leave - good. They get snotty about it - GW and/or Sherriff
                    same here

Comment

Originally posted by Blank View Post
                      Just for the record you do not have to post a sign on Texas. Just having it fenced for livestock will do.

"(B) fencing or other enclosure obviously designed to exclude intruders or to contain livestock;"

On the question at hand. I would just go talk to them to see what was up. It might be a neighbor looking for his cows, someone that shot a deer and is looking for it, someone with a hunting dog loose. Could be a lot of different things that I would be ok with. After talking to them and gaining some details I would then decide what I needed to do.

-john

Comment

Agree w/ depends on the circumstances.

A long time ago i was on a lease out by Garden City. The first lease i was ever on. I and my partners had hunted public land up to that point. Doing so, you get used to having people walk up on you, etc. I'm in my blind one afternoon and hear a shot behind me. What? Who's shooting out here? Then it dawns on me that i'm not on public land anymore. I glass back and see a truck on the ranch road, with i kid walking down the road shooting. I'm probably a half mile away. So, i finish my hunt and tell my buddy what happened when he picked me up. We found the shell casings and a trash bag tied on a mesquite tree. Couldn't find the animal. Go to camp and tell the lease boss. He says the guy will be back at 8:00 to pick up his kill. So, a herd of armed hunters, at least half drunk, heads to the scene of the crime at 7:00. Scatter into the brush. At 7:45 we see headlights in the distance. The guy finally gets there. One helluva an argument breaks out. The guy has his kid in the truck. Kid crying like a banshee. Me, fearing a gun battle is about to break out, and being one of the few sober ones around, grabs one of my buddies two sons and gets behind a truck. (Call me a coward, i'm not getting shot in that situation.) The poacher puts the truck in reverse and leaves. Luckily no one does anything stupid. The next morning we find the antelope the kid shot. Call the Game Warden. Give description, etc. Don't know what happened after that. One of the scariest things i've ever been involved in. Poachers suck.
                        Last edited by mikemorvan; 11-08-2019, 10:23 AM.

Comment

If you don't go out armed and hold them at gunpoint until the sheriff's posse gets there you ain't a real man!!!!

Seriously though... it really depends on the circumstances. The only universal answer I could give is to act in whatever is your own best interest.

Comment

Let em hunt ive decided there are no deer this year due to the hogs. Lol

Comment

Id just ask them to leave if I didn’t want them there.

If it was a kid hunting or fishing, I wouldn’t even run them off. Just let them know the situation and make sure that they were safe. We have a river on our deer camp and I won’t run anyone off of it.

Calling the law and escalating the situation just isn’t something I’d do unless something crazy happened. It’d be an especially bad idea for an absentee land owner, in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                              X