No announcement yet.

Heavy Arrows = Pass Through

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ease up, gents. No sense trying to one up each other with potentially infraction-worthy insults.
    My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by TxBowHntr View Post
      I am thinking of adding 50 grns to my total arrow upfront, but am hesitant because this set up is flying extremely well for me, and I don't want to mess up a good thing. Should I add the extra weight, or is this setup good to go? For reference, I currently shoot Easton HEXX 330 shafts with 50gr insert and 100gr heads. I am thinking of adding additional 25gr. inserts and using 125gr. heads. 2nd question, would that set up have me underspined?

Some will tell you that 50 grains won't matter because they can't feel the difference in their hand, but that much more weight up front will require you to jump up to a stiffer spine. I shot a 30" arrow out of my #70 Elite Ritual and before I switched to Trad I was shooting .260 spine Hexxs with the 75 grain insert with 125 grain heads and 4 AAE max stealth vanes and they flew great.
      Last edited by crc; 11-07-2019, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
        Its my opinion that heavier arrows will leave the venison with a bitter flavor.

FTW!! [emoji23]

Comment

None of this matters if you just hunt with a crossbow like a real man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Codie View Post
            I have been slinging 320 total grain arrows through deers vitals like butter with 55lbs of draw weight and 27" draw length for a long time. I need the light arrow for more speed with my short draw length and preffered lower poundage bow setting.

I choose the same setup on my rifle as well - (25.06)

My compound is 55# at my 29” draw. I shoot 450gr arrows at 250fps, with 1.5” wide German Kinetic broadheads, and have passed thru everything I’ve shot with it!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              Ease up, gents. No sense trying to one up each other with potentially infraction-worthy insults.
              I submitted that last post before I read this one. I’ll play nice from here on out.

Comment

So in conclusion, both heavy and non heavy arrows will kill a host of animals when deployed to the proper killing location.

So do what you're comfortable with and it will all work out.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                  Because it goes through so slow the fletching glue contacts the meat too long. I read about it... in a book
                  Lol

Comment

This went exactly where I thought it would. Speed guys love speed, heavy arrow guys love heavy arrows. People that shoot 3 animals a year are hard to convince, a bigger sample size or ruining a great chance at a once in a lifetime animal will open some eyes.

Comment

I have two arrow setups. Light and fast 400 grain carbon express Blu Rz with 100 grain mechanical broad heads and heavier Easton FMJ’s with 125 grain fixed blade broad heads. On my single pin sight I have blue marks for the carbon express and red marks for the FMJ’s. I guess it increases the chance for confusion but I like the setup and the ability to change arrows based on what blind I am hunting out of and weather I am targeting pigs or deer.

Something that I was surprised to find out is that with field points both arrow setups penetrate a target pretty much to exactly the same depth. I really thought the FMJ’s would penetrate deeper. I know that isn’t real scientific but just an observation.
                      Last edited by Cantcatch5; 11-07-2019, 09:49 PM.

Comment

I'd rather be 100 grains too heavy than 100 grains too light. Physics doesn't lie.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                          I'd rather be 100 grains too heavy than 100 grains too light. Physics doesn't lie.
                          Tell that to a bumble bee

Comment

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
                            This went exactly where I thought it would. Speed guys love speed, heavy arrow guys love heavy arrows. People that shoot 3 animals a year are hard to convince, a bigger sample size or ruining a great chance at a once in a lifetime animal will open some eyes.
                            Very true. I’m a middle of the road, find what works guy.

I biologists years ago told me “ everything I’m about to tell you is a LIE... until YOU prove it true “. I thank him for that as its applied to a lot of aspects in life

I’ve killed hundreds of animals from 2-15 yards
                            Another hundred plus from 16-22 ish
                            And a pile from there to 60+

I say NONE of that to brag. But if I did my part: practiced, TUNED, hit my mark.. then the outcome was the same 385gr vs 685gr.

All on deer and hog ( I’m no expert, and have no opinion on elk and moose)

Comment

Most guys with long draw lengths naturally shoot a heaver arrow because of lenght and spine increase. Also longer draw length allows you to shoot faster. Thoes with short arms need the extra speed so that there arrow flight doesnt resemble a mcdonalds arch. Flatter trajectory = more forgiving shot placement. Willing to bet Most people are on the side of the argument that they are because of draw lenght. Not as much choice. I have short arms. Hate it. Would love for someone with 30" DL to have to shoot 27" for 1 season. Guy would never step into the woods

Comment

I don't understand what more penetration the OP, or anyone for that matter, wants. If my arrow passes through the animal it doesn't matter how far out the other side it flies.
                                I'm running about 342 grains out of my 60lb draw compound and it skips arrows off the ground after shooting through 150lb pigs. That with a mechanical (Rage) head up from sapping all that energy.
                                My longbow arrows are right around 495 grains from 51lbs of draw weight. I get full penetration on most animals with them as well but the arrow may be hanging out the far side but two holes. Two blade coc heads.

Gary

Comment

Working...
                                X