Handgun for Deer/Hogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by peterp63 View Post
    Looking to buy a revolver or semi-auto handgun for deer and pigs. What are the most common / best models for this type of hunting. 20-120 yds range.
    Check out the Para Elite Longslide J.B. has for sale here in the classifieds. I have the same exact gun and it is a hog killing gun if ive ever seen one.

Comment

120 yards is a long ways for me to accurately shoot a scoped revolver, I would have to practice alot I guess. I can do it with my Contender and get 3-4 inch groups at 150 yards, but not all the time.

There was a time I hunted with a Remington XP100 in 35 remington for several years and was fairly good at taking animals with it. I believe my best was around 150 yards on a cull and I sure was proud of that one.

Comment

encore 308 pistol

Comment

Thanks, All. Many of y’all mentioned “if you don’t reload” go with ‘X’. Why is that? I can buy factory ammo for all of these calibers and I wouldn’t be shooting a ton so cost isn’t really an issue.
          Versatility and availability. Take the 44 mag for example, you can shoot 44 specials out of it and but factory loads that range from 180 to over 300 grains. And you can buy the standard 240 Hollow point rounds just about anywhere you buy ammo. You can't do that with %99 of the other handgun rounds people like to use. I like a 475 linebaugh the best, but if a person doesn't reload it is probably a bad choice.

Comment

Ok ya that makes sense. Thanks.

Anybody use a .45 ACP for hogs/deer at closer range? Sounds like a 10 mm is highly recommended by some, so a .45 ACP should be right up there with it I would think.

Comment

Ok ya that makes sense. Thanks.

Anybody use a .45 ACP for hogs/deer at closer range? Sounds like a 10 mm is highly recommended by some, so a .45 ACP should be right up there with it I would think.
              45 would work, and so will the 10mm, but many people try to put the 10 with the 41 mag, and it ain't one. The 10 is basically the same power as a 357 mag, both of which will work, just don't believe the 10 hype and understand that it is good, but many people act like it is a 500 mag haha

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
                45 would work, and so will the 10mm, but many people try to put the 10 with the 41 mag, and it ain't one. The 10 is basically the same power as a 357 mag, both of which will work, just don't believe the 10 hype and understand that it is good, but many people act like it is a 500 mag haha
                Depending on the loads you use, the 10mm overpowers the .357 Mag significantly, mainly because of bullet weight and bullet diameter, but as you said, the .41 Mag it ain’t !

I’ve killed several trapped hogs with a .40 S&W, some with a 10mm, and didn’t head shoot them. I was kinda wanting to see the difference in damage. There’s a pretty good difference in penetration between the 40 and the 10mm when shot through a shoulder. I was wondering if I could break a big hog down with the .40 I carry. My conclusion was....maybe

Both these hogs were killed in a trap under duress. Me and the hogs all ! Suffice it to say by the time I had them both dead I had emptied my Shield plus a spare mag. My Jack Russell got in there with them and I was afraid for him. I hope that’s as close as I ever come to a gunfight because they soaked up a lot of lead before they gave it up !
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                  A Ruger Super Blackhawk hunter in .44 Mag, topped with a 2x scope would be perfect.
                  This right here is all you need or maybe a Super Redhawk.

Comment

Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan 454casull

I have one in the classifieds for $850 with 4 boxes ammo

Comment

One of there will do. .44mag., .45 combo., .22 combo.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                        Depending on the loads you use, the 10mm overpowers the .357 Mag significantly, mainly because of bullet weight and bullet diameter, but as you said, the .41 Mag it ain’t !

I’ve killed several trapped hogs with a .40 S&W, some with a 10mm, and didn’t head shoot them. I was kinda wanting to see the difference in damage. There’s a pretty good difference in penetration between the 40 and the 10mm when shot through a shoulder. I was wondering if I could break a big hog down with the .40 I carry. My conclusion was....maybe

Both these hogs were killed in a trap under duress. Me and the hogs all ! Suffice it to say by the time I had them both dead I had emptied my Shield plus a spare mag. My Jack Russell got in there with them and I was afraid for him. I hope that’s as close as I ever come to a gunfight because they soaked up a lot of lead before they gave it up !
                        Kinda, if you look at top loads for both (buffalo bore outdoorsman type) the the 357 does carry more energy, and you are correct that the 10 does have the wight advantage (180 vs 220), but that is still not the whole story as sectional density edge goes to the 357 and the meplate sizes are about the same. Meplate determines wound diameter in hardcast and sectional density determines penetration. So the 357 and 10 are basically the same. This trend is continues across pretty much all like ammo, i.e. not cherry picking a top load and putting it up against a midrange load. They are both good loads, but both fall well short of stuff like the 44 mag etc. I just want to point that out for the OP, as the 10 seems to hold mystical status with some people

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                          A Ruger Super Blackhawk hunter in .44 Mag, topped with a 2x scope would be perfect.
                          Same here except I have a Trijicon RMR on mine. Super accurate but a little loud.
                          Adios,
                          Gary

Comment

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post
                            One of there will do. .44mag., .45 combo., .22 combo.
                            Nice....
                            Adios,
                            Gary

Comment

Can’t beat either!
                              Attached Files

Comment

in a semi auto the 10mm is the best choice all around when you consider range, weight, trajectory, recoil, and size...

in a revolver you can get bigger and smaller but all around the 44 mag was and still is king of the hill,,,, bullets from 200 to over 300 grains,, trajectory well beyond 100 yards with sufficient power, recoil with some loads can be stout, but controllable ,, weight can be varied from heavy to light weight, barrel lengths from 4 to 12",, ammo can be found from multiple manufacturers nearly anywhere ,, you also have the option of 44 specials ,,, speed loaders and holsters are easy to come by also.....

i have killed game with both the 10mm and the 44 mag,,, i have also shot many thousands of rounds from both,,,,,

having said that my actual favorite is the 41 mag

Comment

Working...
                                X