Handgun for Deer/Hogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handgun for Deer/Hogs

Looking to buy a revolver or semi-auto handgun for deer and pigs. What are the most common / best models for this type of hunting. 20-120 yds range.

For my money, a 10mm auto for closer shots, or a .41, .44, or a .45 Colt for longer. I would want a red dot or scope for anything over 40 yards, but I can’t see as well as I used to. I use all of the above.

Comment

I have a 44 MAG and 30-30. Both accurate

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
        For my money, a 10mm auto for closer shots, or a .41, .44, or a .45 Colt for longer. I would want a red dot or scope for anything over 40 yards, but I can’t see as well as I used to. I use all of the above.

I’ve always wanted a 10mm, but not sure it’s a good choice for the longer part of my desired range. The other calibers probably for the bill.

Any suggested makes/models?

Comment

A Ruger Super Blackhawk hunter in .44 Mag, topped with a 2x scope would be perfect.

Comment

460 S&W magnum or 500 S&W magnum....don't be messing around with anything smaller unless you plan to carry it on your person quite a bit.
            You can put either a red dot or low power scope on either of the magnums I mentioned above.

Comment

Originally posted by peterp63 View Post
              I’ve always wanted a 10mm, but not sure it’s a good choice for the longer part of my desired range. The other calibers probably for the bill.

Any good name brand revolver in a caliber starting in 4 will work. In single actions I’m a Ruger guy, mainly because a Freedom Arms is too expensive. Smith and Wesson makes some very good revolvers also. If you get a Ruger Blackhawk or Super Blackhawk that’s not the Hunter version, it’s still very easy to mount a reflex, dot, or scope sight on them. No drilling and tapping required.
              I prefer the Bisley grip frame, but you may prefer the plow handle grip.
              Attached Files

Comment

I’d probably go with a 629 with a scope if you’re dead set on a revolver. If you don’t mind a single shot, an encore in 308 would be my choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                  A Ruger Super Blackhawk hunter in .44 Mag, topped with a 2x scope would be perfect.
                  This. Especially if you don't hand-load.

Comment

Originally posted by peterp63 View Post

10mm is a flat shooting round surprisingly. Especially if you handload.
                    I'm partial to my rock island 1911 in 10mm. Easy enough to find a g20 or g40 though.

Comment

I have a Super Redhawk in 10mm. Fun gun

Comment

44 mag

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Encore or contender would be my vote

Comment

In revolvers, especially if you don't reload, it would be hard to beat a 44 mag. In Single shots 30-30 or 308 would probably top the list.

Comment

Thanks, All. Many of y’all mentioned “if you don’t reload” go with ‘X’. Why is that? I can buy factory ammo for all of these calibers and I wouldn’t be shooting a ton so cost isn’t really an issue.

Comment

Working...
                              X