Quick Rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick Rant

I have been looking for a deer lease for a while now. I would have pulled the trigger by now, but so far the best options that I have found don't allow anyone under the age of 18 on the property. How are we supposed to teach the next generation about the outdoors if you don't let them take part? My son is too young to actually hunt with me but he does love to ride in the side by side and see the animals. Part of the reason I do this is to spend time with my family outside of our daily routine. If you are so scared of being sued I know that some of your drunk asses are more of a liability than my son!

Rant Over!

I do find it interesting some of the lease rules that I hear about or I see pop even on here. I grew hunting on a lease in llano and there were minimal rules. no trophy or cull requirements. If it got your blood excited when we were younger then we would shoot it. Growing up that way I have now learned to be a more management minded hunter but that is because as a kid I was able to take whatever deer I saw and got me excited. As I got older my priorities with hunting changed and it wasn't so much about killing a deer but more about enjoying nature and seeing them in their own behavior. I feel for you and if I hear of anything around I will let you know.

Comment

Tell them you’ll have a legal contract drawn up and signed saying you release them of any liability your son is involved in.

Comment

You do realize there are a lot of different people who prefer a lot of different things when it comes to a deer lease right? I understand the struggle, as I'm going through the same process but imagine the single guy who hates kids... That place would be perfect for him!

Comment

I certainly understand their rules and why they might have them, but I'd never lease a place like that personally.

I like to kill a nice deer every now and then but the older I get, the more I enjoy watching the younger kids do it and try to give a few a new opportunity each year.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn21 View Post
            Tell them you’ll have a legal contract drawn up and signed saying you release them of any liability your son is involved in.

Why? I wouldn’t want my kids at a deer camp where they are not welcome. There are plenty of places to hunt with your kids in Texas. OP, you’re either not looking hard enough or you’re too picky.

Comment

I grew up on a deer lease that did not allow guest at all at any time. Dad got me my own spot and I paid for it by mowing grass all summer. It wasn’t till later I found out my friend hunted for free. I was ****** lol !

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                Why? I wouldn’t want my kids at a deer camp where they are not welcome. There are plenty of places to hunt with your kids in Texas. OP, you’re either not looking hard enough or you’re too picky.
                Yup !
                Plenty of opportunities to take youth hunting.
                May not be on the king ranch, but they need to learn the real way.
                It’s called hunting for a reason.

Comment

The last thing I would want is a place where I can't take my kids. There are more memories made during deer season than anywhere else. I'm just saying, but not taking your kids is a disservice to the future generation.

I mean you leave them at home every weekend like that and they end up voting BLUE when they grow up..

Comment

Oklahoma sportsmans hunt club might be up your alley. Family membership.

Comment

When I was young our deer lease was the same property as our cattle pasture. The landowner lived right by the gate and didn't allow kids to hunt. I didn't get to go often, but I do remember hiding in the floorboard a few times as we drove by their house.

Comment

There are enough barriers to hunting and this one just seemed to get me riled up. The first time I encountered it I just shrugged and moved on. However, the more I was told that I couldn't bring my kids, the more it got to me.

Comment

10 yrs ago I would be all on board with you. Now, as my daughter is quickly approaching "adulthood" I can see the positive side of adult only. No worrying about what joke to tell. No worrying about 5 yr old Timmy crying and throwing a fit. No worrying about Timmy's mom dictating what goes on around the fire and who is washing their hands before eating. Just sounds peaceful and like heaven. Teaching your kids and experiences have their place and time. Just not at some leases. If I have grand kids in the future I am sure this will change. Until then, keep your crumb crunchers at a crumb cruncher friendly lease.

Comment

kids wouldn't do well around us........might learn alot of new words and hear lots of stories they shouldn't repeat, of course they could fetch beers and make mixed drinks

Comment

Originally posted by BiggieSmalls View Post
                              The last thing I would want is a place where I can't take my kids. There are more memories made during deer season than anywhere else. I'm just saying, but not taking your kids is a disservice to the future generation.

I mean you leave them at home every weekend like that and they end up voting BLUE when they grow up..
                              To add to my comment, I probably wouldn't want to hunt with a group that has issues with kids anyways.
                              Don't get me wrong, my kids are in college but when anther guy brings a youngster, they are welcome to go set with any of us.
                              It also helps that the property owner encourages it.

My opinion, my thoughts, but it warms my soul when a kid gets a deer and to see them excited for something as simple as a doe as you don't see that from most grown-ups.

Comment

Working...
                              X