No announcement yet.

RECAP - Utah Archery Mountain Lion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day two was another early morning with me checking out of my hotel and driving south the nest Hadley and a landowners 15 year old son to go check a large tract of private land. I followed them to the ranch with temps in the teens and snow falling pretty good.

We made it to the ranch and I discovered it was an elk breeding operation with hundreds of elk running around. They had a really nice setup out there. Unfortunately, we spent three hours snowmobiling around cutting tracks with only one old track found. I also took a pretty good spill off the sled into some nasty powder.

After getting my stuck rental car (impala) free, we headed south towards Wales. Here we looked for a bit on public land with no luck, then hit a small section of private and found one couple day old track. We decided to let the dogs out and see if they would go but no luck.

It was mid afternoon and snowing pretty good at this point so we decided to call it a day and I headed back to Springville to check back into my hotel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Enjoying it so far!

Comment

Day 3 started early again with me checking back out of the hotel and driving south to meet the owner of the outfit (Garett) as Hadley had to get back to his real job.

Pretty much the same routine, cutting tracks, but now the snow was MUCH deeper. Garett also had another guide (Tyler) out cutting tracks south of us. We drove some beautiful country with fresh powder, only cutting one super fresh set of bobcat tracks. Seeing as I hadn’t ever killed a bobcat either, we decided to cut the dogs loose on them.

They ran what we thought was backwards on the track, and Tyler called to say that he had located a fresh set of lions tracks, so we called them off and headed his way. A little ways down the road, we saw where the bobcat had backtracked...turns out the dogs were right. Oh well, the main quarry was lion.

Comment

Originally posted by freerhunter16 View Post
                  In! What outfit did you hunt with? I killed my lion with Wade Lemon Hunting just South of Nephi near Salina.

Alpha Outfitters

Comment

Comment

Tagged for later. THanks for sharing

Comment

Comment

Bobcat tracks

Comment

We made it over to where Tyler had located the tracks, looked to be a decent tom so we loaded the dogs into the sled boxes and headed up to cut them loose. We took several older, more experienced dogs as well as four pups. All fired with GPS collars so we could keep an eye on their whereabouts.

Immediately, the older dogs got on the trail and we watched on the GPS as they ran several miles up and over the mountain hot on the lions trail. Shortly after, it looked as though they had him treed so we loaded up on the snowmobiles and headed up and over the mountain to get closer.

I was thinking it was all but over from here as we we 300 yards from the trees lion and it was downhill! Wrong!

They were down a cliff so we had to hike 5 hours over, down the bottom in knee to waist deep snow, then back up where we finally spotted the lion high up in a dead spruce.

It was all I could do to climb up to it on all fours while sliding backwards. To make it worse, we lost the GPS. This is also where I found out my guides holster wasn’t for a gun, but for his GPS. So, we had not pistol and no GPS. Great.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X