removing gun registration ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Artos View Post
    Only when a ffl closes their business then the ffl surrenders the 4473's & A&D book along with the ffl.
    Originally posted by Mike D View Post
    It’s my understanding that all 4473 stays with the FFL until time that the FFL is no longer in business OR they are destroyed after 20 years if the FFL is still in business.

If they need a form they usually show up in person to get a copy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I knew the answer before I asked the question.... I was just seeing if the guy who seemed to know with certainty that forms never get sent to the ATF did.

Another frequent occurrence is FFL's switching types. Many start as 01 and then realize they want to be 07. They give up the 01 and have to send all their records from the 01 in.

Comment

****, do I have a sign on my thread that says “please respond like an *** hole”? I’m not saying that’s what to do, I’m saying that it’s an option if you’re that worried about who you’re selling a gun to. I’m an FFL so come gimme money and I’ll call it in. If not, then don’t do **** and just sell the gun...

Comment

Originally posted by kck View Post
        I’m an FFL so come gimme money and I’ll call it in. If not, then don’t do **** and just sell the gun...

That was a lot better response than telling folks to pass out SSNs and DL#s like candy.

Comment

I just do a bill of sale and take a pic of their drivers license.
          Not much more you can do.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
            Really really bad idea to give any individual your SS or DL #
            Not any different than when you get in a fender bender.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
              That was a lot better response than telling folks to pass out SSNs and DL#s like candy.
              I wasn't telling anyone to pass out anything like candy. The only reason I said that is if someone wants to ask for a DL# from a buyer (yeah SS# isn't real smart but I've seen people do it) they can ask for it. If you don't want to give it and not buy the gun then don't. Would I do it? No. Do people ask for it to cover their *** on occasion and do people give it? Yep. Used to be a good place to discuss **** around here back around 2005...

Comment

[QUOTE=Mike D;15363308]I can say from experience this is EXACTLY how it goes down. They can trace to the original purchaser if done through FFL. You are under ZERO obligation in the State of Texas to keep a disposition record of any firearm you sell. You are obligated to reasonably believe that the person was not prohibited from owning a firearm. I for one want it to stay exactly this way and I will never buy private party that requires a bill of sale or any other nonsense. And you **** sure ain’t getting a copy of my DL/SS/LTC# or a picture of any of these.

So let’s assume you do a BOS and it turns out the person was prohibited from owning a firearm; now what? You have just documented selling a firearm to a prohibited person.

You stated it in the above. If you don't have a reason to think that person should not own that but then you're fine. Documented or not, if you think that person is legit, sell em the gun. However, if something were to happen and your name is on record (if you purchased through a FFL) it's not a bad idea.

Comment

Following

Comment

I wasn't telling anyone to pass out anything like candy. The only reason I said that is if someone wants to ask for a DL# from a buyer (yeah SS# isn't real smart but I've seen people do it) they can ask for it. If you don't want to give it and not buy the gun then don't. Would I do it? No. Do people ask for it to cover their *** on occasion and do people give it? Yep. Used to be a good place to discuss **** around here back around 2005...

So you wouldn’t follow your own advice that you just gave?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

[quote=kck;15364175]
                      Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                      I can say from experience this is EXACTLY how it goes down. They can trace to the original purchaser if done through FFL. You are under ZERO obligation in the State of Texas to keep a disposition record of any firearm you sell. You are obligated to reasonably believe that the person was not prohibited from owning a firearm. I for one want it to stay exactly this way and I will never buy private party that requires a bill of sale or any other nonsense. And you **** sure ain’t getting a copy of my DL/SS/LTC# or a picture of any of these.

So let’s assume you do a BOS and it turns out the person was prohibited from owning a firearm; now what? You have just documented selling a firearm to a prohibited person.

You stated it in the above. If you don't have a reason to think that person should not own that but then you're fine. Documented or not, if you think that person is legit, sell em the gun. However, if something were to happen and your name is on record (if you purchased through a FFL) it's not a bad idea.

I still don’t see the logic behind a Bill of Sale. It won’t protect you from anything because if you didn’t commit a crime nothing will happen to you.

In my scenario I talked about, I sold a stripped AR lower. He built it into a rifle and it was stolen out of his house. It was recovered and the ATF called me, asked a few questions, I told them I sold it to a guy at a gun show (I did ask to SEE his Texas CCL at the time) and that I did not take any additional info. That was the end of it. No further contact from them.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post
                        So you wouldn’t follow your own advice that you just gave?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        No, because the question was what can be done to keep a record of a transaction and if it’s necessary or not. Not whether I would do it.

Comment

[quote=Mike D;15364292]

I still don’t see the logic behind a Bill of Sale. It won’t protect you from anything because if you didn’t commit a crime nothing will happen to you.

In my scenario I talked about, I sold a stripped AR lower. He built it into a rifle and it was stolen out of his house. It was recovered and the ATF called me, asked a few questions, I told them I sold it to a guy at a gun show (I did ask to SEE his Texas CCL at the time) and that I did not take any additional info. That was the end of it. No further contact from them.

I’ll call the ATF tomorrow and ask em what they would suggest. However, the only reason I gave the option I did in the first place was to possibly be able to prove/streamline any questioning and/or issues that could possibly arise if your gun was used in a murder, mass shooting or some off the charts **** like that. It’s not something I suggest or advocate, just an option to the questions that arose in this thread.
                          Last edited by kck; 12-30-2020, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Man, some of yall have gone off the deep end. Ss, dl, pics of ids lmao... might as well run a credit report too

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Bill of sale, printed name and signed by both parties with either SS# or DL#.
                              and photo of seller and buyer....Print both and save in file

Comment

Originally posted by jaime1982 View Post
                                Man, some of yall have gone off the deep end. Ss, dl, pics of ids lmao... might as well run a credit report too

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                                And it's getting more and more popular .
                                Had a couple memebers try and do that in the last year.
                                Easy enough to just walk away and I did, but I really wanted one of em lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X