No announcement yet.

Who’d a thunk it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Riflepistol, all I can vouch for for certain, is the motor frame I welded up. The majority of the tubing was 1.25 OD, .049 wall thickness. Motor mount plates were 1/8” (.125), and the smaller OD (3/4”) tube where it’s bolted thru the firewall is also the heavier wall .125 like the motor mount plates. But, the biggest portion of what was welded together was .049 wall thickness. Didn’t even pay attention to the thickness of the aluminum he already had riveted on, but it’s thin, definitely thinner than .049. And didn’t ask bout the fuselage frame he bought pre-made.

Comment

I was thinking the aluminum skin was around 22 ga. (.025) just going on what the thickness felt like when I handled a couple of pieces he had laying around. Just had him tell me it’s .020 (24 ga.) 6061 T6. So my redneck hand measuring method wasn’t too far out in left field. It helps having to use my decimal/fractions daily on my full time job for the last 30 yrs. Most times I can get close. But when ya start getting into the super thin gauge stuff, I don’t have to deal with it quite as much. Also, it messes me up sometimes cuz the same gauge # steel will be thicker than aluminum. Always gotta be something to confuse us I guess!

Comment

Very Cool! What this going to set him back when all is said and done?

Comment

Man, don’t know for sure, but I know he’s saving hisself thousands by doing it the way he is. Meaning, using a “non-traditional” engine instead the Rotax that most everyone else uses, getting his “brand new/old stock” turbo for $600, instead of the $2000 Yamaha was wanting, and the list goes on. Yeah, his brand new Yamaha crate engine didn’t have the turbo in the package, even though it’s designed for it. He’s also getting a discount from Dynon on his avionics instruments. Dynon is evidently a main/big supplier for the experimental/light sport airplane segment. They are partially sponsoring him as long as he puts some of their stickers/logos on the plane. Said he was saving bout 6K on that since they are “sponsoring” him, even if it is partially. Hate to know what it was full price! I guess building a “one off” that hasn’t been done yet has a few perks. I’ll fill y’all in as best I can. But, I know since he’s doing this slowly, meticulously, and as he has funds available, it’ll be awhile till completion. Says he’s shooting for next spring. For one, he said that Dynon wants to use it at some air shows next spring. Soooo, guess that means my dirt-dobber welds will be on full display for all to see! Also, evidently there’s a big gathering air show at Oshkosh Wisconsin every year. Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

Dang, Oshkosh is the BIG DEAL in aviation every year.

If they turn this into a kit, that would be pretty cool deal. I like the power to weight ratio and the fact is has a boosted engine. Would make for one hell of a bush plane, or just very fun plane, to do stupid stuff in.

Comment

Yeah, he’s got quite abit more (going by what he says) power than the usual engine installed in these planes. The Rotax for this plane I believe puts out 80-90 hp? Whereas the EFI Yamaha with turbo will put out 160-180 hp. Plus he’s right at 100 lbs less in weight, engine wise. He could do stuff to get it more “hot” he said, but wants a do all, user friendly, fuel efficient plane, but still have plenty of power. Will be an interesting build for sure!

Comment

Chase, he didn’t know anymore than you on them raising the gross wt on light sport. Just “heard” that there is a proposal out there about it.

Comment

Sweet deal, oshkosh is huge. They have a fly-in in east tx as well, not near as big as oshkosh but a pretty cool looking venue. (I've not been). Reklaw I believe it's called.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Comment

Who knows, he may plan on the Reklaw gathering as well. Like I said, he’s shootin for next spring to keep everything paid in full, but wouldn’t surprise me if he hit all the shows he could. If for no other reason, than just an excuse to fly the new toy! He lives in the panhandle, in Vega, so finding a flat spot he can take off and land won’t be too hard! But he’s also in with some buddies at the local municipal airport and they all went in on a hangar. Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

I remember going to Oshkosh by gosh a few times as a kid. My grandpa and I would fly his Cessna up there. He would do all the cooking for everyone. It was a big deal. If you get a chance....go!

Comment

Nephew sent some pics of him getting the plumbing for the intercooler mocked up. Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by LivinADream View Post
                          The cool thing about building your own is you can do your own annual, which saves a ton of money.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk
                          Yes, a friend of mine has a plane and he was telling me that annual can be super pricey!

Awesome thread, OP.

Comment

When you go from tig welding an intricate hyper thin-walled airplane frame one weekend to stick welding a 6-5/8” x 1/4” wall pipe overhead the following weekend. Kind of opposite ends of the spectrum! Ok... I admit... really just put this up to kinda keep the thread alive and kicking. Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty
                            Attached Files

Comment

Another fine welding job on the pipe entrance Rusty. I’m laying odds that thing will be there and standing long after we are all gone on! 👍👍

Comment

Thanks Joel! And if it’ll dry out enough before the next batch of rain, next week they’re saying, I’m hoping to set posts end of week/Saturday. Just building two “wings” coming off of the big overhead to the fenceline on the road. It’ll have 4-1/2” posts, four 1-7/8” pipe horizontal runners, and posts will be dome capped. After that, I’ll tie in that old pipe fence to my overhead, and then comes the gate(s) of course. Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

Working...
                                X