Night Hog hunting on Public

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Night Hog hunting on Public

Was having breakfast with my Parents this morning, the subject got to me hunting Granger yesterday and that I was able to finally put a stock on a group of hogs in the same area where I seen this big boar last week. Well I was able to get around 10ft from where these hogs ran into the thicket but the wind was pretty bad and eventually they winded me and busted out and went onto private. My dad asked me " why don't you hunt out there at night time". I told him you cant hunt Public after dark!. He said, that is not true. for hogs there is no time limit to hunt them. It was understanding that hunting Public land there is always a 1.5hrs before/after the sun. I guess he must of seen this on one of the TX warden shows.. Confused!

Can anybody clarify this for me. TH
    DH:

Originally posted by DHOutdoorsman View Post
    Was having breakfast with my Parents this morning, the subject got to me hunting Granger yesterday and that I was able to finally put a stock on a group of hogs in the same area where I seen this big boar last week. Well I was able to get around 10ft from where these hogs ran into the thicket but the wind was pretty bad and eventually they winded me and busted out and went onto private. My dad asked me " why don't you hunt out there at night time". I told him you cant hunt Public after dark!. He said, that is not true. for hogs there is no time limit to hunt them. It was understanding that hunting Public land there is always a 1.5hrs before/after the sun. I guess he must of seen this on one of the TX warden shows.. Confused!

Can anybody clarify this for me. TH

DH:
    Why don't you call and ask? I wouldn't believe some random poster on a message board

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

No help really but I was told by several on here that LBJ allows hunting at night. They just recommend letting the GW know ahead of time. My thing is I couldn't figure out how to go about. If it is legal what's you gameplan if you don't mind sharing?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Rich1201 View Post
        No help really but I was told by several on here that LBJ allows hunting at night. They just recommend letting the GW know ahead of time. My thing is I couldn't figure out how to go about. If it is legal what's you gameplan if you don't mind sharing?

^^^This is true on LBJ. I called and asked if I could hunt hogs out there at night by a full moon with no lights. The lady said "absolutely...but why would you want to?" I said "to kill pigs." She said "no, why would you not use a light?" I said "you mean I can?" She said "absolutely. Just let the GW know ahead of time so he knows why he might be getting calls about it." I did and never had an issue. Didn't kill any pigs but saw a lot of deer.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rolylane6 View Post
          ^^^This is true on LBJ. I called and asked if I could hunt hogs out there at night by a full moon with no lights. The lady said "absolutely...but why would you want to?" I said "to kill pigs." She said "no, why would you not use a light?" I said "you mean I can?" She said "absolutely. Just let the GW know ahead of time so he knows why he might be getting calls about it." I did and never had an issue. Didn't kill any pigs but saw a lot of deer.

Just walking around with a flashlight? I knew lights were legal as well. Never hunted pigs, especially at night, sorry for the dumb question.

Comment

Thanks, sounds almost legit. I'll call the GW for that park and find out more.

Comment

All depends on where you're at and what type of public lands. As well as the rules for that track of land.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

Your answer is on page ix and xi in the aph map booklet.

“ unless otherwise specified for a specific unit, shooting hours for feral hogs, rabbits, and hares will be restricted to daylight hours only,and fur furbearers and predators may be taken anytime day or night (unless restricted in the legal game box).

And legal shooting hours are half hour before sunrise to half hour after sunset.
                Last edited by Etxnoodler; 03-23-2021, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich1201 View Post
                  Just walking around with a flashlight? I knew lights were legal as well. Never hunted pigs, especially at night, sorry for the dumb question.

I hunted with a scope mounted light. I hunted areas where I had previously seen sign during daylight working my way in from downwind.

Comment

Hunting public land at night is a good way to get shot. Had a guy shoot at me once before when walking out after a bow hunt. He thought I was a hog. Learned my lesson about always having a light on.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

For Granger, legal hunting hours are 30 minutes before sunrise and 30 minutes after sunset. It's also archery only.

Comment

Originally posted by TxTyler View Post
                        For Granger, legal hunting hours are 30 minutes before sunrise and 30 minutes after sunset. It's also archery only.

Archery only for hogs I should add.

Comment

Originally posted by TxTyler View Post

I'll stick to what the booklet says, unless the GW ever calls me back.

Comment

Easiest way to answer most questions like this.....just call Texas parks and wildlife. I call them all the time with questions to make 100% its good and I didn't interpret the rules wrong and get it straight from the horses mouth.

Comment

Its not legal on corp land but guys still do it.

Comment

Working...
                              X