X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this day in texas history

On This Day In Texas...
    February 12th, 1899 -- Arctic cold stiffens Tulia

On this day in 1899, Tulia, Texas, reported the coldest temperature ever recorded in the state--minus 23 degrees Fahrenheit. This was part of the "Big Freeze," an infamous norther that killed 40,000 cattle across the state overnight. This temperature was matched in Seminole in 1933. The highest temperature recorded for Texas was 120.

Geeze, I can't imagine it being that cold here!

Comment

40,000 head killed in one night, man that’s something.

Comment

That is cold anywhere.

Comment

Na can’t be right, we didn’t have severe weather swings until the bush presidency

Comment

Originally posted by waterdog View Post
            On this day in 1899, Tulia, Texas, reported the coldest temperature ever recorded in the state--minus 23 degrees Fahrenheit. This was part of the "Big Freeze," an infamous norther that killed 40,000 cattle across the state overnight. This temperature was matched in Seminole in 1933. The highest temperature recorded for Texas was 120.
            Thanks God for global warming. That was cold!

Comment

Originally posted by waterdog View Post
              On This Day In Texas...
              February 12th, 1899 -- Arctic cold stiffens Tulia

...and in other news on February 14, 1899 it was 78 degrees in Tulia.....

Comment

On this day in Texas.....
                Feb. 12, 2011....I married my lovely wife. Got married for the first time at the age of 54- took God a long time to find one that would put up with me and here we are- eight years headed to eternity together.

Comment

and no cattle died....

Comment

Originally posted by Russ79 View Post
                    On this day in Texas.....
                    Feb. 12, 2011....I married my lovely wife. Got married for the first time at the age of 54- took God a long time to find one that would put up with me and here we are- eight years headed to eternity together.

This opened my eyes a bit. Congrats!

Skinny

Comment

Winter is definitely not my favorite season, I should be dead by now if I leave during that time.

Comment

Abstract An unprecedented period of extreme cold accompanied by an intense East Coast blizzard during February 1899 is documented through an examination of detailed surface weather charts constructed from original data. The surface weather analyses depict the passage of several anticyclones of Canadian or polar origin that propagated southward, spreading progressively colder temperatures throughout the central, eastern, and southern United States. This series of cold outbreaks culminated in the southward plunge of one final, massive anticyclone that yielded the coldest temperatures on record for much of the south-central and southeastern United States. The final cold wave was associated with the development of a cyclone that left measurable snow over most of the Gulf Coast and Florida and then produced severe blizzard conditions along much of the East Coast. To place this period in historical perspective, minimum temperatures recorded during February 1899 are compared with minimum temperatures measured during more recent cold air outbreaks. Snowfall records set during February 1899 that have never been exceeded are also documented. Examples of extreme weather events such as this enable forecasters and students to gain practical experience by visualizing the meteorological patterns these events are associated with, by acquiring a historical perspective when assessing other events, and by gaining an appreciation of the limits of severity that atmospheric phenomena can attain.

This has some data from that series of storms.

Comment

Thanks for posting.

Comment

Interesting!

Sent from my LM-X410.FG using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X