Kicking the habit - any advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Edit ^*
    I also asked God for help. I tried to quit on my own and failed several times. I knew i needed help. Also, i kept a photograph of black lungs on my phone, and would routinely look at the pic as a way to "brainwash" myself into seeing what tabacco really is. Instead of something I truelly enjoyed I began to have clarity and see it as that death machine it really is. This took some time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

I started my Copenhagen free journey on Tuesday. The struggle is real, but I am not giving up.

Comment

I quit in 85 after almost 30y...Tried and tried ...The answer is Never pick up another ....cause one leads to another...Good Luck

Comment

I won my nicotine addiction about a year ago. The first 3 weeks were the hardest, I thought I would give in, I tried to quit 4 times before and relapsed every time. I used everything that could motivate me, btw, there are a lot of good tips on how to quit smoking on VapingDaily. Also, it’s nice when there is somebody how can support you, and I appreciate my family’s help, they all put up with my irritability and bad mood.
          Stay strong, you can do this. Good luck!

Comment

I quit cold turkey 40 years ago - the day I quit was the day I started exercising (running) - been running 3 times per week now for 40 years. Just changed from one habit to another habit

Also the best advice I was given was by a professor in college - he told me to never quit trying to quit smoking. He said if you try and fail then wait a bit and try again - eventually it will take

Good luck

Comment

closing in on day 21 smoke free. Just stop. Gum or vapes to get you over the hump. Don't ever start again

Comment

I smoked my last cigarette on Oct. 19, 1988. I was 32 yrs. old at the time and was smoking 2-3 packs/day. I went through a structured program "Smokenders", that my workplace paid for. I didn't really intend to quit - my wife was on a diet at the time and her weight loss had stopped, so I was going to be a good gun and suffer along with her for a few weeks, then start smoking again. The program got me to understand the psychological as well as the physical addictions to nicotine. Of the two, the psychological addiction is much, much stronger.

The physical addiction ends after 7-10 days after you quit using tobacco, but the psychological addiction is always there, and you have to learn to fight it. I remember being very grouchy for a day or two after I quit smoking, and then one day I realized that it was no one's fault but my own, and that I needed to quit acting like a jerk. I've been happy and smoke free since then.

I wish you peace and good luck in your journey. Strength as well, as you know what you are doing is right and proper.

Best wishes,

Dave

Comment

Not to hijack but I tried chantix and it made my stomach hurt. Anyone else have that?

Comment

I agree with everyone's comments about the mental state. However, something that helped me quit dipping was preparing mentally for certain triggers or avoiding them all together. What I mean by that is, I used to dip at least three times per day one at lunch, one right after work, and then right after dinner. To avoid those trigger times I would have activities planned. I started working out after dinner, I avoided where I dipped during lunch, and cleaned the house or a gun right after work. The hardest for me was the pressure felt when I hung out with buddies who dip or smoke. For that, I would just have to tell myself you are stronger than this don't do it. Sounds simple but it's not. Avoid alcohol in the beginning. It will erode your judgement and you will convince yourself one or two won't get me back on the train. Good luck! You are making a good choice.

Comment

Met a guy with a hole in his throat, and said to ' get off the **it ' or I'll have one just like him. He also had to take it out to take a shower, and if he got water in it, he would drown. Changed my mind immediately.

Comment

3 packs a day for 33 years here. I tried everything there is at one time or another. You have got to want it or it won't happen. I have been smoke free for 10 months now and what helped me this time was vaping. I did it slowly and decreased my nicotine a week at a time until it was nothing. Then it was just force of habit. I am completely smoke and vape free now. My last real smoke was April 16, 2018. You can do this.

Comment

I am on week one now myself. Bring the patch this time and I have no cravings. I feel as if I am already a non smoker, just got to get the body in line with the mind.

good luck to you.

Comment

Wellbutrin also helped me too, forgot to mention

Comment

For many, the 1st step is to stop buying it.

Comment

Vape is the only thing that has helped me

Comment

Working...
                                X