Divorce With Rental House?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Divorce With Rental House?

My ole man’s going through a divorce. He’s on the lease she’s not and she pays zero bills. Soon after getting served papers she filled a BS restraining order (still waiting on court or word from the attorney). Think he’ll have to leave? She wants him to move out and free load “ be supported” for the rest of her time. Anybody have experience with this?

Forgot to mention no kids / shared interests, married around 5 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TA_Fab; 02-11-2019, 04:27 PM.

Have him turn off all utility

Comment

Not on lease, she has to go. Restraining orders work both ways. he can't be around her and she can't be around him.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Comment

Tell him cut the losses and contact landlord. Move on. Cut utilities today

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
          Tell him cut the losses and contact landlord. Move on. Cut utilities today

Land lord is a good friend of ours and will do as my dad wants. He just wants to avoid moving out then having her kicked out and moving back in. But he’ll do whatever it takes.

Comment

He can make her leave !!

Comment

She sounds nice.

If he's on the rental agreement, she's out the door.

Comment

I think either has to be evicted. Regardless if she is on the lease or not, she has established that she lives there.

Comment

Originally posted by basskicker24 View Post
                  I think either has to be evicted. Regardless if she is on the lease or not, she has established that she lives there.
                  I believe this is correct. He needs to contact somebody that is well versed in this type of law. What's right and what's legal are often two different things.

Comment

Yep she has to be evicted. Have landlord kick her out isomly option if she does not pay bills

Comment

They've both established residency there regardless of who's on lease who's not on lease. Depending on your LEO they might try and bluff her to leave due to her not being on the lease but technically by the letter of law neither party would have to leave and he would have to file an eviction notice on her. As far as restraining order those things are worth about as much as the piece of paper they are printed on. They are not enforceable by an officer they are only enforceable by the courts. Meaning the LEO is not going to show up and be able to arrest your father for being around her or violating a restraining order. Protective orders are the ones LEO's will arrest on for violating.

Comment

He’s got an attorney I’m just curious if anyone has been in similar situations. He thought it would be a relatively easy ordeal until today.

Comment

It's called the "Marital Home". Friend of mine's wife filed on him. They were living in a house on HIS parents land that was in the parents name. They had been there 10 years. He had to leave but the parents were then able to file eviction proceedings and he was able to come back afterwards. Took a few months.

Comment

He should stay and have his girlfriend move in. That should be enough of a hint for the EX to hit the road.

Comment

She needs to pack her bags, unfortunately the court system probably won’t see it that way.

Comment

Working...
                              X