Help me bring 'em in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me bring 'em in

OK so here's the deal. We've got the 55 acres that we live on. My property is about 50 acres of thicket and hardwood bottom with a 3 acre clearing where our house is and a 2 acre clearing which I hunt that is about 250 yards from the house separated by heavy woods. We have good density in our area and the ranches around us cultivate cotton, soy beans, corn and numerous other crops. My problem is this - a family member that has 60 acres that borders ours consistently has more mature bucks on camera. His property is basically 100% thicket with his plot in the center. I know the deer are entering his property from mine, mostly through a hardwood bottom that runs the length of my property. My hunting area backs up to this bottom, but the only time I see good bucks is before season and during heavy rut when they come looking for the does in my oat patch. I'll put up a pic of our property so you can see what I'm saying. Basically I'm in need of suggestions as to what approach I should take in order to make the deer more comfortable or to make my area more attractive. Food plots, stand location etc. I currently only plant in the fall.
    Attached Files

Lock on in the hardwoods. Multiple stand locations for different winds. Hand corn. Keep the pressure as light as possible. That's the key to any small property, especially if they already on your land.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

And use the road as access. But keep a "sanctuary" that you dont touch.

Comment

I would hunt that bottom they travel, that’s gonna give you your best chance at the best buck. I would still have a stand over the oats for early and late season, but I would have a stand or 2 on or in the bottom for different winds.

Comment

If that's his property south of the county road with the big plot and multiple feeders he probably has more deer because he has a more established plot and feeding program.

Comment

Go with the Buffalo System and you will have deer for years to come.

Comment

Good looking property and glad you got some hard woods. My suggestion would be to spend a considerable amount of time right now and into february scouting your property hard, learning everything about it. Find the bedding on your property, food sources, and what not. I use onx maps to mark everything but before that I used the maps on the iphone to mark stuff. Take good notes when you do find beds and feeding areas including which direction trails might be going in and out. Also if you find rubs take note which direction the deer was potentially heading to make that rub. If you have some rain come by I'd walk the entire property line between you and the family member as well as 3470. Take notes on where deer are crossing, which direction the tracks are heading, how many tracks. Once you get all this together you should be able to connect a lot of the dots to know what your deer are doing. Than I'd set up lock ons like the others have said especially in the hardwoods but also in the thicket heading to other properties where you found their crossing. One protein feeder on your property would help with keeping deer around. Like others said try to access different parts of your property without disturbing the entire property. Once you learn the property though and know where the deer are bedding and where they are traveling, you'll have a good idea where to enter and exit your stand locations. Early and late season get you a camera running on trails through the thick stuff. The bucks will be in there.

Comment

Feed the heck out of the does. the bucks will come. if your neighbor has stepped up his game, you may have to as well.

keep limited pressure on the trails and only hunt when the wind is right.

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                  If that's his property south of the county road with the big plot and multiple feeders he probably has more deer because he has a more established plot and feeding program.
                  The google maps image is at least 2 yrs old ( no house yet ) so it doesn't show my improved plot, but yes, his has been there longer. He only plants in the fall and doesn't even fill his feeders until August.

Bow stands in the bottoms are great for me, but I'm more interested in being able to put my kids on good deer, so I need to get them out into my clearing. Taking suggestions on a good crop for the Trinity river bottom area of Houston Co.

Comment

Originally posted by BW96 View Post
                    Lock on in the hardwoods. Multiple stand locations for different winds. Hand corn. Keep the pressure as light as possible. That's the key to any small property, especially if they already on your land.

Yep

Comment

How much activity is going on around your house throughout the year? Kids running around on 4 wheelers, playing hide n go seek, etc......??

Does he have a house on his property?

Comment

First thing I noticed is you can only hunt a north, northwest, west wind. All approach should be from south into blind and only on those winds

Southeast is our predominant wind.... and your SOL there without building blockage on trail (possible option). If you hunt in this wind you immediately tell bucks your there and it’s game over

Comment

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
                          How much activity is going on around your house throughout the year? Kids running around on 4 wheelers, playing hide n go seek, etc......??

Does he have a house on his property?
                          There is no house on his property, however, my house is closer to his oat patch than it is to my own. There is activity around the house, but there is activity everywhere here between ranching/oilfield/rec.

The best route seems to be to set up stands across the bottoms for different wind directions and to build a more established food plot. Thanks to all for the input

Comment

Keep in mind stand wind direction means nothing if access wind direction compromises it. Hunt will be over before it starts if your scent is blowing through bedding area or your walking all over their travel route.

Comment

Originally posted by drogers6771 View Post
                              There is no house on his property, however, my house is closer to his oat patch than it is to my own. There is activity around the house, but there is activity everywhere here between ranching/oilfield/rec.

The best route seems to be to set up stands across the bottoms for different wind directions and to build a more established food plot. Thanks to all for the input
                              I’d say the lack of activity in his woods and length of time he’s been established are the main factors for him having more/better deer. As stated previously cut them off before they get to his place. But use pop up ground blinds instead of a lock on for you and your kids. You might try to find some trees dropping acorns early season. Set up a ground blind downwind and your kids stand an excellent chance at a buck. Also you can try to feed more than him. Start dumping corn all over your roads in August and continue throughout season. Deer love corn. Set up on the corn once acorns are gone.

Comment

Working...
                              X