East Texas Spring Plot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

East Texas Spring Plot

I am looking forward to planting a spring mix plot, roughly half an acre, in a couple months. Anybody have wisdom on what seed variety won’t be over browsed on this small of a plot? Thanks

The general consensus seems to be cow peas. Most of what I've read seems to indicate you need more than a 1/2 acre of them though because the deer will eat them down so quick. Maybe clover? If you can find it, I've read/heard "Crimson clover" is a great attractant clover.

Hopefully someone with first hand experience will chime in, as I am planning on putting out a few small plots this year also.

Comment

Not sure on that size of plot but I can tell you cow peas won’t work. In my opinion they’re the best thing to plant but they’ll never have a chance on that small of a plot. My son planted just over an acre this past year and the does destroyed them. As soon as they started coming up good the does looked like a grazing herd of cattle on his camera every night for the few days it lasted.

Comment

My experience as well

2 acres seems to be the minimum for I&C cowpeas

bill

Comment

thanks for the replies. any thoughts on buckwheat? or other suggestions?

Comment

I will be planting milfoil, lily pads, and hydrilla.

Comment

no kidding, everything has been SOAKED

Comment

My two plots have pretty much been under water or over saturated since October......

....needless to saw, not much grown in continual standing water.

Comment

I plant a mix of brown top millet and Alyce clover does well on my sandy east texas ground.
                  Both, can take the heat and some drought.

The millet acts as a cover crop for the Alyce which is high in protein.

Comment

The best you can plant tonnage and browse pressure wise on 1/2 acre will be demolished by 2-3 deer in under 2 months tops. Not to rain on parade or be negative

With spring plots even in lower density of east Texas you really need close to 2 acre MINIMUM to allow pressure to be rotated around to allow plants to mature.

In that small you won’t have much choice but to double fence until mature. Waist high or more and take fence down.
                    Last edited by Low Fence; 01-14-2019, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Having no experience with spring plots, it does surprise me a bit that they need to be so large. My 1/2 acre fall plot does fine. I was wanting to do a spring plot this year so I guess I might have to bite the bullet and go bigger. Is 2 acres really the minimum??

Comment

Originally posted by drogers6771 View Post
                        Having no experience with spring plots, it does surprise me a bit that they need to be so large. My 1/2 acre fall plot does fine. I was wanting to do a spring plot this year so I guess I might have to bite the bullet and go bigger. Is 2 acres really the minimum??
                        That’s what the agents that helped me start out said and I’ve found it to be 100% true in all my plots. Smaller just never can catch up and grow

Comment

Originally posted by Texas1980 View Post
                          Not sure on that size of plot but I can tell you cow peas won’t work. In my opinion they’re the best thing to plant but they’ll never have a chance on that small of a plot. My son planted just over an acre this past year and the does destroyed them. As soon as they started coming up good the does looked like a grazing herd of cattle on his camera every night for the few days it lasted.
                          Originally posted by TreeDaddy View Post
                          My experience as well

2 acres seems to be the minimum for I&C cowpeas

bill
                          Totally dependent on your deer density and the available native browse. Some places I've had great luck in small plots, others, not so much. Never say never !

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexasTiger View Post
                            I am looking forward to planting a spring mix plot, roughly half an acre, in a couple months. Anybody have wisdom on what seed variety won’t be over browsed on this small of a plot? Thanks
                            If all you are gonna plant be ready for it to disappear. I plant an acre every year, our lease plants about 5 acres and the deer keep it ate down no matter what we plant.
                            Does it help? I have no idea. We do it in an effort to keep more bucks on site.

Comment

Working...
                            X