Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beautiful place you have there. Following

Comment

We went to the ranch this weekend to fill all of the protein feeders and to start slinging corn out of two corn feeders. This year, we have fed around 17,000lbs of protein and 3,000lbs of cottonseed.

We received a used gun blind on a 12ft tower and it’s still in great shape since they used cement board. Here is a picture of the blind and the views:

Feeder View:

Left Window View:

Back Window View (Future Fall Food Plot):

Comment

We were also able to pick up some trail camera cards. Here are a couple of pictures of the antler growth so far:

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
          we were also able to pick up some trail camera cards. Here are a couple of pictures of the antler growth so far:

[ATTACH]727875[/ATTACH]

Comment

Could that be your "basket 6" Third pick from bottom????^^^^

Comment

Are you talking about this buck from last year:

If this is the buck you are referring to, I can tell you that the buck that is the third pic from the bottom is not him. The buck that's in the 3rd pic from the bottom was an 8pt last year, but this year he is a little wider and some more mass.

Comment

Are you talking about this buck from last year:

If this is the buck you are referring to, I can tell you that the buck that is the third pic from the bottom is not him. The buck that's in the 3rd pic from the bottom was an 8pt last year, but this year he is a little wider and some more mass.
                10-4 just resembled the same genetics.....just a thought

Comment

Picture of Big Pond

Here is a picture of our big pond, which is now around 4 acres in size due to all of the rain. The deepest part of the pond is around 35ft.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4037.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	24392082

Comment

This 6pt CULL has had the same frame for 2 years now, except he is heavier and taller now. I guessed him last year at 3.5yrs last year, which will put him at 4.5yrs this year:

My thoughts have always been to shoot a buck like the one above (6pt) especially if he has had a similar type rack several years prior and he is around 4yrs before shooting a post mature 10pt because I would rather the 10pt spread his genes vs the 6pt. I'm not saying this is the correct way to do it, it's just been what I've been taught and what I've read from various articles. As far as the older bucks like the old 10pt that is being described above (post mature), we let other people/friends shoot these types of bucks if they help us do work around the ranch. I really enjoy hearing everybody's opinions. if you think I'm not aging a buck correctly, please let me know what you think, you will not hurt my feelings. That's why I started this thread was to get everyone's opinions and ideas.
                    Thanks for sharing. Awesome place and we feel your excitement. Well done. On our place we would shoot that 6 at 3.5. Our 3.5 participate heavily in the rut and I don't won't them spreading those genes. Many trophy managers would have him out of pool at their first chance. You may consider continuing your protein feeding a litte deeper into season on a daylight basis to hold your bucks. Great job.

Comment

Nice place! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Updated Pictures

Originally posted by Truckman View Post
                        Nice place! Thanks for sharing!
                        Here are some updated pictures from our place in late July.

Name:	8pt with fork G2 and other trash.jpg
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	24399672

Name:	9pt.jpg
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	24399673

Name:	Freak 1.jpg
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	24399674

Name:	Tall Fork Horn 1.jpg
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	24399675

Name:	Tall Fork Horn 2 .jpg
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	24399676

Name:	Trough - others.jpg
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	24399677

Name:	Trough-Freak, 10 and others.jpg
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	24399678

Name:	PICT3752.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	24399679

Name:	PICT3753.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	24399680

Comment

More pics...

here are some updated pictures from our place in late july.
                          [ATTACH]736844[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]736845[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]736846[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]736847[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]736848[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]736849[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]736850[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]736851[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]736852[/ATTACH]
                          [ATTACH][ATTACH]736861[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
                          Attached Files

Comment

We are seeing a lot of good 2yr olds this year. A lot of the young deer are looking a lot bigger than the younger deer in the past, since this is our 5th year feeding protein. Once these two year olds hit 6yrs, I'm assuming we will see a big jump then as well when comparing them to the mature bucks now.

Comment

More Pics...

we are seeing a lot of good 2yr olds this year. A lot of the young deer are looking a lot bigger than the younger deer in the past, since this is our 5th year feeding protein. Once these two year olds hit 6yrs, i'm assuming we will see a big jump then as well when comparing them to the mature bucks now.
                              [ATTACH]736865[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]736866[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]736867[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]736868[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]736869[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]736870[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]736871[/ATTACH]

Comment

Beautiful place, and great pics! Looks like you're getting a lot more mass and additional points after a few years of good management. You've got some interesting genetics to work with. What are you planning to do for fall food plotting? Our place is west of Lampasas, and I'm looking to do some similiar things. Our pastures were in bad shape, very compacted soil from decades of grazing with no maintenance. I just got a moldboard plow and turned an acre or two this weekend with some success and am looking forward to seeing if we can get a food plot going. I need to disc the areas I turned and then seed, roll, and pray for rain.

Comment

Working...
                                X