Buffalo gnats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black fly’s/ Buffalo gnats

They are a scourge in Alaska, and Canada, the local governments up north send out a pamphlet on how to deal with them , I have dealt with sand flys and no see ums

No see flys are the worst, bit then lying eggs that hatch 7-10 days later, worse than chiggers
    Attached Files
    Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 09-15-2021, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
      They are a scourge in Alaska, and Canada, the local governments up north send out a pamphlet on how to deal with them , I have dealt with sand flys and no see ums

No see flys are the worst, bit then lying eggs that hatch 7-10 days later, worse than chiggers
      Dang, just seeing that is bad enough. Brought back mental images of how bad the cattle get swarmed out in the pastures.

Comment

Are they the same as horse flies?

Comment

Originally posted by Oleman View Post
          Are they the same as horse flies?
          No, at least not what I grew up terming as Horse Flies. Those are huge and make a loud buzzing sound in the air. There are smaller flies that swarm cattle and lay eggs. The gnats are smaller yet.

Buffalo gnats are pretty small and just barely have to brush up against the skin to bite you. I’ve never watched a video in slow motion to see what the deed looks like up close when they bite. They’ll go up your nose and in the ears.
          Last edited by Katsaregood; 09-15-2021, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X