No announcement yet.

Jarrell Tornado 24 years later

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That was a wild day, my mother worked for the Red Cross at the time and was onsite for a while after.

I was on a lease near Jarrell and have a few friends in the area. One of the many terrible stories I heard about that tornado was about all the live stock that has to be put down after the storm from injuries. My friends just went pasture by pasture shooting their cattle that had been torn to shreds and were still alive screaming in agony.

Comment

I was 4 years old and at Wendy Hill Daycare in Jarrell right off the access road from I35. I can remember them telling us to all get under the tables. Luckily the tornado never crossed the I35 corridor.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickslinger92 View Post
        I was 4 years old and at Wendy Hill Daycare in Jarrell right off the access road from I35. I can remember them telling us to all get under the tables. Luckily the tornado never crossed the I35 corridor.
        Another Windy Hill alum here. I saw Mrs. King in that video and thought about it. Several folks that went to our church in New Corn Hill (Holy Trinity) died in that storm. I was attending Tech at the time. I got a call at Bob's Liquor, where I was working at the time, from a buddy of mine from North Austin. He was in his closet waiting out the storm. He knew I was from the Jarrell area and told me about it and suggested I call home. I tried, but the lines were busy. Eventually, my call went through. My family was OK.

Comment

I remember it, we were just out of school that afternoon the sky was green switched on channel 6 news and the meteorologist and they could actually see the tornando from where the news studio was back then they had live coverage of it from a distance, it was crazy. The footage he got made storm chaser Lon Curtis famous.

Comment

In the movie “Twister” one of the storm chasers explains “The Finger of God” describes an F5 tornado. Watching a movie about one is as close as I ever want to get.

Comment

I was in North Austin at work that day; we were told to get into the bathrooms.
              Now, I live on a small ranch that is just 3 miles from that Jarrell subdivision; I remember the bare slabs, too.
              Does anyone have an accurate track of that F5? My neighbor said that it stopped just over the ridge to the north of here.

Comment

Horrible tragedy, can't believe it has been that long ago...

Comment

I was living in Round Rock at that time, but, ironically, was up in D/FW handling storm claims for the insurance company I worked for. My wife was home, but ended up trapped in her car in the driveway by the stormy weather until she caught a break and could get inside the house. Thankfully she didn't have to experience the violent weather that others did that day.

Stu

Comment

Originally posted by Box-R View Post
                    I was in North Austin at work that day; we were told to get into the bathrooms.
                    Now, I live on a small ranch that is just 3 miles from that Jarrell subdivision; I remember the bare slabs, too.
                    Does anyone have an accurate track of that F5? My neighbor said that it stopped just over the ridge to the north of here.

If you watch that video posted earlier at the 9:28 mark they show the path.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I remember seeing the reports about it and the pictures of the devastation

Comment

Was an FTO training a rookie that day. We sat on the etrance ramp blocking cars from getting onto n/b IH-35 from Tx29 in Georgetown. Was crazy and our car was shaking so bad we thought we might be done for. Many folks bolted outta cars and got up under the overpass bridges. After it passed we went up and helped with recovery and ID with the local JP whod been a fellow officer a few years prior. Saw some terroble sights that day. But later that evening it was actually the calmest prettiest sky ive ever seen. Just eerie and contrary to the evil that had just passed.
                        Cattle had holes in them with their entire insides sucked out . Skin was beat red on some bodies as the force of the storm pulled blood to the surface of the skin like hickies (sp?).
                        Crazy few days. Was an evil monstor of a storm. The storm path looked like a huge dozer had cut a path, like described earlier. 1 house just gone and a few feet away another sat almost untouched. 2x4s pushed thru tree trunks and the 2x4s look brand new on both ends. Crazy devastation and power that day. I dont really talk about it much but my heart was totally broken learning entire families including youngins were wiped out that day.

Comment

I went with my friend and his dad to take money and supplies from our church after it hit. Will never forget going from asphalt to dirt and just seeing the aftermath was incredible.

Comment

That was something I will never forget, working a job in south Austin. We didn’t have any weather and it was hot. Coming back through Jerrel and I remember seeing all those slabs exposed and thinking when did they pour them and why haven’t I noticed them. Didn’t have a clue until I got home and saw the news.

Comment

Remeber that day well.

So much tragedy in such a short time.

Rwc

Comment

I was driving down 35 (coming from Okla) and cut over on 6 heading to Houston. Heard radio reports on the storm but be were a little ahead of it. It was very scary for us.

Comment

Working...
                                X