X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Draco View Post
    Rugged. We look rugged.

Comment

I’d pick up metal scrap when I could find it and sell it. Made $14.00 off a truck load and paid $7.00 to have my tire repaired! Those scrap yards are notorious flat magnets.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
        Most folks ive seen making a living chopping cedars look a lot like the fellas running around picking up scrap metal
        Well if I was running around my ranch picking up scrap metal to get rid of I'd probably see what it's running also

I have a couple areas (maybe 50 acres total) that I'll be chainsawing cedars. Just figure I'd see if it's worth keeping any posts to sell versus just burning them all.

The area I had dozed I didn't think twice and just burned.

Comment

i have seen a bunch of home made furniture pieces made from cedar,, mostly end tables, mirror frames, jewelry boxes, benches and some chairs sold at flea markets and such,, other than that just fence posts

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
            Well if I was running around my ranch picking up scrap metal to get rid of I'd probably see what it's running also

I have a couple areas (maybe 50 acres total) that I'll be chainsawing cedars. Just figure I'd see if it's worth keeping any posts to sell versus just burning them all.

Stop by that cedar yard on Hwy183 or I think there is another close to Lometa and see if they know anyone to come cut it and give you a percentage. Get it done and get paid

Comment

If you pile up a bunch of 8’ post I but you could sell them pretty quick. Id be surprised if my BIL didnt come down to get a trailer load.

Comment

Originally posted by Collier View Post
                Stop by that cedar yard on Hwy183 or I think there is another close to Lometa and see if they know anyone to come cut it and give you a percentage. Get it done and get paid
                This is what I would do.

Comment

There is a cedar mill in Leakey. (They process the oil to sell to perfume manufacturers.) Last I heard, they pay $40/ton foe raw cedar. This is old, dried logs, stumps, basically leftover stuf of that can’t be used in post, or furniture applications. There’s also a cedar post yard in Leakey. I’m pretty sure they don’t pay a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Collier View Post
                    Originally posted by Draco View Post
                    This is what I would do.
                    Has anyone on TBH done this? I've only heard bad things. The people that owned the ranch before I did tried this and man it was a mess. Took me a LONG time to clean it all up.

It's easy to say just talk to them and make sure they agree to leave the place clean or stump free (or cut stumps low) but I get the feeling it would still be a mess. But I'm not sure..maybe things have changed?

I think there are 2 yards. One is in Lampasas on 183 Are you talking about the other one closer to Briggs?

Comment

The one closer to Briggs. Carter Callen owns it. Nice guy.

Comment

This popped up on the Nextdoor feed yesterday.

1000.00 is the price they are asking for this load of 6’ latillias.

Looks like a lotta work.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I was thinking if I could get $250 for a load like that it may be worth it. For $1k I'd be cutting cedar full time LOL

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	cedar.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	521.7 KB
ID:	24650250

I picked these up yesterday for a fence project at my place in Mineral Wells.

I went in with my neighbor and we bought this bundle of 300 and we spilt it.

2.25 a piece 675.00

Cash ( discount) price 640.00

This is Mackey's off I-20 going west right before ranger hill. He said he pays .90 a piece for this size.

Comment

Very good info. Thanks.

Any guess how long they stay good for if I cut and stack and wait until I get a lot to sell?

Comment

Very good info. Thanks.

Any guess how long they stay good for if I cut and stack and wait until I get a lot to sell?
                                longer than you'll be alive

Comment

Working...
                                X