Hospitals with antivenom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hospitals with antivenom

I’m by myself a lot at the ranch. Between Mason and Brady. Where can I find a list of where to go that has antivenom? I googled with no luck. Would be handy for all of us to know in case you get snake bit.

No idea how it works...I know it has a shelf life with the stories of of folks in Starr Co getting bit & having to get to Hidalgo to receive over the years. Maybe things have changed but good to be proactive.

Comment

Just call the hospitals in the area and ask them. My wife does that in the area of our lease, when we were in London the ER in Junction told her they had it on hand. In Menard she talked to San Angelo. I’d bet the ER in Brady would have it.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
        I’m by myself a lot at the ranch. Between Mason and Brady. Where can I find a list of where to go that has antivenom? I googled with no luck. Would be handy for all of us to know in case you get snake bit.
        I know Llano Baylor Scott & White has it. I got hit about four or five years ago, called a doctor friend, and he told me to calm down and relax and send him a picture of the bite. 😂. He told me do not go to the hospital unless I had to. His line was, “Hell, in Llano they may kill you—then send your wife the bill.” The serpent died and I drove into town and sat at chicken express to make sure I didn’t die. Waited there for about an hour than drove home. Lips went numb, ankle swelled (hit high on shin) and life was good. He did call and confirmed they had it in Llano.

Comment

Don’t mess with snakes and you have no worry

Comment

You would have to call each hospital. Most small hospitals won’t carry it due to the cost. It would just expire and then you’re out thousands of dollars. Plus if a patient is in bad shape and needs a fasciotomy you need a general surgeon or orthopedic surgeon. A lot of rural hospitals don’t even have an operating room.

Comment

We used to hunt in Melvin, right near Brady and we were told that the Brady ER on the western edge of town could take care of us if we got bit.

Comment

I have a friend that raises Bushmasters. I think he said he’s one two in the U S that raises and sell these things. I asked my wife who works in ER why he doesn’t keep any anti venom on hand. He’s making bank $60-70,000 per year selling bushmasters alone. Turns out it mega expensive and is administered by the vial. They had a patient that required 10 vials once. So I can see , considering the expense, that some rural hospitals may not have it. What they use is called Crofab. And I don’t know if I spelled that right either. I think it’s wise to do what your doing T. Never hurts to have a plan.

Comment

San Angelo for sure

Comment

Pretty sure they have it in Brady

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
                      I know Llano Baylor Scott & White has it. I got hit about four or five years ago, called a doctor friend, and he told me to calm down and relax and send him a picture of the bite. 😂. He told me do not go to the hospital unless I had to. His line was, “Hell, in Llano they may kill you—then send your wife the bill.” The serpent died and I drove into town and sat at chicken express to make sure I didn’t die. Waited there for about an hour than drove home. Lips went numb, ankle swelled (hit high on shin) and life was good. He did call and confirmed they had it in Llano.
                      This!!! T8, you won't die, only 6 people died last year but if you took the antivenom, you'll be broke forever.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                        Why would it be handy for all of us to know where you need to go if you get snake bit?

Comment

If you get bit , I doubt the medical center would risk administration of the serum, I hear it’s got some major problems with side effects

Comment

I'd get on with Life Flight

Comment

Good thing to know in my opinion Matt. Can never be too sure how to keep yourself alive when the need arises.
                              If you ever in San Antonio and need it, only one Godoy in all of San Antonio has it. North central baptist.

Comment

Working...
                              X