TBH Bee Keepers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
    And a spare brood box...apparently. Boy swinging for the fences.
    I just own the land . . I'll ask her . . This is her 2nd year . . I'm just the Sharecropper . .

Comment

Originally posted by Sharecropper View Post
      I just own the land . . I'll ask her . . This is her 2nd year . . I'm just the Sharecropper . .
      I would implore you to, just once, borrow their veil (gloves if it would make you feel safe) and stand over the open hive and just listen.

It is an incredible rush.

Comment

Originally posted by rswell2 View Post
        I would implore you to, just once, borrow their veil (gloves if it would make you feel safe) and stand over the open hive and just listen.

It is an incredible rush.
        True! I thought I was the only one that got a rush from this.

Comment

Fun day today, hived a trapped swarm this morning and picked up a swarm this afternoon

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0103.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	24615767

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0904.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	24615768

Comment

Awesome Ferg. Love the pics.

I have a big day planned tomorrow. Setting a hive on my lease and recovering another out of a house in Nederland.

Comment

Well, recovered the hive, clipped the Queen's wings. Quite a few bees, lots of larvae and a bit of honey and nectar, which I left for the bees. I was satisfied. Set my other hive on my lease, gonna check them out Friday. Getting a collection of hives.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharecropper View Post
                My Beekeeper got set up . . Kind of fun watching the operation . . From afar . .

I’d say those maybe the Arizona cabinet style hives. Not 100% sure but look like if from here

Comment

Originally posted by Ferg View Post
                  Fun day today, hived a trapped swarm this morning and picked up a swarm this afternoon

[ATTACH]1000038[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1000039[/ATTACH]

Strong work!

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                    [ATTACH]997201[/ATTACH]

Each comb was about 6' long.
                    Not much honey.

Nice work! Most hives are fairly skinny from building brood numbers in anticipation for the nectar flow that time of the year. Minimal honey during a cutout is definitely better. Less mess, least sticky bees to die, and less robbing during the cutout!
                    Last edited by MASTERS; 04-22-2020, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Witchgrass View Post
                      I have 3 hives, and am buying 2 more nuts next month. My neighbor asked me to help him with his bees on Tuesday. The first three hives were just fine, and had no surprises. He then mentioned that the 4th and final hive was kinda bad....
                      I ended up getting a bee inside my veil, and after walking about 50’ away to open it up to remove her, several more bees popped me on my head. I dropped the jacket, and kept walking. Ended up with around 10 or so stings, and had to move 300 yards away to get away from them. The swelling is going down....haven’t spoken to my neighbor since...
                      Lol. It’s all good though.

I’d pinch that queen, split the hive if brood allows and introduce a queen in each one after 2-3 days of them being queenless if it were me. AHole bees aren’t any fun. 90% of my ferals I’ve caught were Aholes when their numbers got strong enough. I buy queens bred far outside the Africanized zone and never thought twice about going back to rolling the dice and making walk away splits with local genetics.

Comment

TBH Bee Keepers

A few pics of some of ‘20 splits that are moving along well, most are double stacked now....

Comment

Marked about 35 new queens this past week. I try and mark them about 3 weeks to a month after making the splits because queen mortality the first 3 weeks to a month can make marking them earlier a waste of time.

Comment

Lost a sharpie while making splits a few weeks back. I always mark the new split ant the original hive incase a queen makes it into the split I know where she came from. I looked everywhere for it that day and finally gave up. Found it a couple days back when marking queens. Bees turned into a piece of art.....

Comment

Installing my nucs this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by dxtbowhunter View Post
                                Installing my nucs this weekend.
                                who did you get them from if you don't mind me asking?

Comment

Working...
                                X